Monday, April 15, 2019

A to Z April Challenge: M is for Marble Top


This is a continuation of LAST APRIL’s challenge about HEIRLOOMS. When my sister and I cleaned out our parents’ home, we had to make many decisions about what to do with all the stuff. Which things are truly “valuable” and which have only sentiment in their favor? Should we sell it, keep it, or throw it away? To help ensure a future for our family’s heirlooms, I plan to leave a booklet for my daughters telling the stories of what they will inherit one day. (Not TOO soon, I hope!)




is for the Marble Top Plant Stand that at one time belonged to my grandaunt Helen Killeen Parker. The table is about 2’ tall and is solid mahogany. The word “Victorian” is etched into the wood under the marble. Such stands must have been fairly common judging by the number for sale on eBay.


Aunt Helen owned several, so my sister and I each received one when her estate was divided. Mine sits in a corner of the dining room with a display of some old silverware. Helen actually used hers to hold a plant.
 
Helen Killeen Parker https://jollettetc.blogspot.com
Helen Killeen Parker in her dining room
Probably late 1960s-early 1970s
When we had our daughter’s first formal portrait made, we took the plant stand along as a prop since she was just learning to walk. It was the perfect height for her.
 
Jordan Easter 1982 https://jollettetc.blogspot.com
Easter 1982
Wendy
© 2019, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

16 comments:

  1. How cute with your daughter's picture! Clever you used the table too. Good conversation piece I would imagine.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember what gave us the idea to take it along for the picture. Glad I did!

      Delete
  2. Lovely piece and certainly an Heirloom to be passed along. I imagine your daughter already has dibs for her story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope she will want it although it doesn't look like the rest of her furnishings. Maybe sentiment will win out.

      Delete
  3. Your daughter is adorable in that bonnet with the ruffle on steroids. The plant stand is a nice piece! I like the way you display the silverware. I've got some I'm trying to figure out how to display, but if I do I'll have to polish it. Don't know if I really want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is everyday silverware, so it looks pretty rough. I have a friend who has a dining room full of tarnished silver. She likes that look. You have permission NOT to polish your silver.

      Delete
  4. I have a picture of my aunt wearing a bonnet like that. No little table though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that portrait! She's so happy to pose for the camera :)
    Although I don't own a marble top piece, I love the look.
    Stephanie Finnell
    @randallbychance from
    Katy Trail Creations

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful table with great photos for more memories.

    DB McNicol, author
    A to Z Microfiction: Meat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you used it as a prop - now it is really "forever".

    ReplyDelete