Monday, April 1, 2019

A to Z April Challenge: A is for Aladdin Lamp


This is a continuation of LAST APRIL’s challenge about HEIRLOOMS. When my sister and I cleaned out our parents’ home, we had to make many decisions about what to do with all the stuff. Which things are truly “valuable” and which have only sentiment in their favor? Should we sell it, keep it, or throw it away? To help ensure a future for our family’s heirlooms, I plan to leave a booklet for my daughters telling the stories of what they will inherit one day. (Not TOO soon, I hope!)

 is for Aladdin Lamp.

This lamp was a Christmas gift from my parents; therefore, while it is certainly old, it is not exactly a “family heirloom.” The chimney is not original, but the nickel base and the glass shade certainly are. The lamp came to me already converted to accept a lightbulb. My Aladdin has been a perpetual fixture in the foyer of our home and serves as a night light all day long.

Kerosene lamps were common in the late 1800s and well into the 1900s. “Aladdin” was a trademark granted to Victor Johnson in 1908 for his particular brand. Many people refer to this style of lamp as an Aladdin lamp without regard to the actual brand, much like people say “Kleenex” to refer to any brand of tissue.

Victor Johnson sold his Aladdin lamps in 1909 for $3.00. On Etsy there is one similar to mine for $375.

Wendy
© 2019, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your last series of A-Z family heirlooms, and look forward to reading more this year. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so glad to see your name on the Master AtoZ List. Here you are with another round of family heirlooms. I didn't know there was a lamp company that was branded Aladdin, so now I'll have to be on the look for them. You are the Genie to your Aladdin lamp. Excellent start to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I saw you jump on board, I was inspired. If I were in Texas, I'd beat you up. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I was jealous of your 26 heirlooms last year, and now you can come up with 26 more?! Incredible. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everything is a TRUE "heirloom" other than it is something I have that my daughters will have to decide on at some point.

      Delete
  4. While not an heirloom today, may your daughters not inherit it due to your demise until it is!

    http://findingeliza.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even know there were Aladdin lamps out. It is good that you are keeping a list for your daughters on your stuff. When the time comes in the distant future, they will appreciate it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I would have appreciated a little heads-up from my mom.

      Delete
  6. Wendy, I will let you call anything a heirloom even if it has not been in the family that long. Creating a new story for the newer pieces will help entrench them into family folklore. The old things we cherish now were once new too. Fran PS looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. The things in our house will become heirlooms to my girls even if they weren't heirlooms to me.

      Delete
  7. Tackling 26 heirlooms again? You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete