Friday, April 12, 2019

A to Z April Challenge: K is for Korean Dishes


This is a continuation of LAST APRIL’s challenge about HEIRLOOMS. When my sister and I cleaned out our parents’ home, we had to make many decisions about what to do with all the stuff. Which things are truly “valuable” and which have only sentiment in their favor? Should we sell it, keep it, or throw it away? To help ensure a future for our family’s heirlooms, I plan to leave a booklet for my daughters telling the stories of what they will inherit one day. (Not TOO soon, I hope!)




is for the Korean dishes that were purchased by my grandaunt Velma Davis Woodring when she was a teacher and principal for the Department of Defense Dependents School in Seoul, Korea back in the 1960s. She brought back lots of souvenirs for all of us - jewelry, kimonos, dolls, AND dishes.

Korean Dishes https://jollettetc.blogspot.com

This set is very pretty in colors of very dark green and white, metallic gold, and a band of dark red or maroon. The overall pattern appears to be daisies or maybe some similar flower. Since the design does not feature Korean ladies or cultural scenes, the set was probably not produced merely as souvenirs.

Included in the set are dessert plates, a tea set complete with sugar bowl and creamer, sake set, and some random pieces that I cannot identify. Possibly one is a rice bowl. A tall piece with lid might serve to hold tea. I have no idea. I have never used these dishes; they are merely decorations filling one shelf of the corner cupboard in my living room. They are thin and delicate. Surely we would scald our lips should I ever serve hot tea in those thin, translucent tea cups.

My cousin inherited some of these dishes as well. At a party she hosted for her co-workers in the Foreign Language Department at James Madison University, a couple of the Asian instructors were fascinated by the sake set. They explained to her that the script inside each cup was a poem.

Sake cup https://jollettetc.blogspot.com

A lot of good that does me!

Wendy
© 2019, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

12 comments:

  1. You have such a variety of items to share your thoughts on and it is good that it brings in details about the extended family members like your grandaunt.
    fran
    TravelGenee visiting from the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fine to know dates of birth, marriage and death for each relative and ancestor, but the heirlooms they leave us are just as much a part of their story.

      Delete
  2. You might try to find a Korean speaker to translate it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating that it was a poem inside each cup. Makes you wonder if you can find a translator that can translate for you. The set is gorgeous looking. I can't imagine transporting everything though from Korea!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that after reading Kristin's comment. There are several restaurants and dry cleaners that I use run by Asian families but whether they are Korean or Vietnamese or Japanese or Chinese, I'm not sure. But you all are making me want to figure it out.

      Delete
  4. I have to laugh - did they like the sake SET ot maybe just the SAKE??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably wondered IF and WHEN my cousin would bring out the sake!

      Delete
  5. Such an attractive suite of dishes. Sharing the stories of heirlooms is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, this has been helpful to me as well.

      Delete