Wednesday, April 3, 2019

A to Z April Challenge: C is for Coverlet


This is a continuation of LAST APRIL’s challenge about HEIRLOOMS. When my sister and I cleaned out our parents’ home, we had to make many decisions about what to do with all the stuff. Which things are truly “valuable” and which have only sentiment in their favor? Should we sell it, keep it, or throw it away? To help ensure a future for our family’s heirlooms, I plan to leave a booklet for my daughters telling the stories of what they will inherit one day. (Not TOO soon, I hope!)

is for Coverlet. It once served like a throw on the sofa in my grandaunt Violetta Davis Ryan’s “music room,” so named for the piano and organ that competed for space along with a sofa and several chairs. Woven coverlets were a type of bed covering made in America from the 18th century to late 19th. Whether woven by hand or on a loom, most often coverlets had a woven design of colored wool yarn weft and linen warp. Indigo blue was the most popular color.


The coverlet was one of many things my mother inherited but never used. Then it came to me. SOMEBODY had to take it. I thought I would like it. I envisioned decorating a guest room with a navy blue accent. I thought the coverlet would look good draped across the foot of the bed. But it turns out that I didn’t REALLY like it. It’s rough and scratchy. So it’s in a drawer.

I wish I knew whether this coverlet was something from Violetta’s childhood or something she picked up at an antique shop.

Wendy
© 2019, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! My mother did crochet and both my grandmothers made quilts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some crocheters and quilters in my family too.

      Delete
  2. That would be neat to know the origin of it. It is an interesting color; not sure I would be fond of it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the indigo blue but it isn't cozy.

      Delete
  3. Itchy-scratchy is a dead giveaway that it's wool. I think it's woven, but doubtful that it was by hand. The intricate, repetitive pattern can be done by hand, but is more likely from an early industrial weaving mill. Looks to be in great condition for wool, but wow, that pattern!
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word from the expert! Thanks. I guessed it might have been done on a loom since it is so even.

      Delete
  4. I have a crocheted blanket that my great grandmother made. I love it but am so fearful it will get ruined that I keep it folded/hung up in a closet. I need to pull it out and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete