Tuesday, April 9, 2019

A to Z April Challenge: H is for Hammered Aluminum


This is a continuation of LAST APRIL’s challenge about HEIRLOOMS. When my sister and I cleaned out our parents’ home, we had to make many decisions about what to do with all the stuff. Which things are truly “valuable” and which have only sentiment in their favor? Should we sell it, keep it, or throw it away? To help ensure a future for our family’s heirlooms, I plan to leave a booklet for my daughters telling the stories of what they will inherit one day. (Not TOO soon, I hope!)


is for Hammered Aluminum serving pieces. Not a single piece that I own came by way of family, not that I recall anyway. I remember my maternal grandmother had aluminum coasters, but the pieces I own were definitely not hers.

I bought mine at a church bazaar, and they were practically giving them away. Aluminum trays are not expensive, but they are collectible.


Hammered aluminum was introduced during the Depression era as an alternative to fine silver. Trays, bowls, ice buckets, casserole dishes, candy dishes, and even jewelry were marketed to blue-collar households but even white-collared households appreciated the craftsmanship.

I enjoy using the aluminum trays for serving desserts or gathering glasses at casual get-togethers. The tiered tidbit is fun for serving cookies and fruit.

Wendy
© 2019, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

12 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of these before. Collectible too! I don't think I ever saw them anywhere or even pictures of them until now.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why this surprises me, but I guess if you don't go to antique shops, you wouldn't see them. Now I bet you'll notice if you run across any at a thrift store.

      Delete
  2. Those are really cool. I love collectible pieces that I can actually use rather than stuff away in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are a nice substitute when you don't want to go all fancy shmancy with real silver.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I love the carved designs. Well, I guess it's not really CARVED - maybe pressed??

      Delete
  4. I have a couple of pieces like this that I picked up on ebay. I really like the look and the memories they bring back.

    DB McNicol, author
    Microfiction: Hen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the trays especially because they are so versatile.

      Delete
  5. Nice pieces and serviceable. Best thing is they don't tarnish and need polishing. Believe it or not, I don't think I have ever had any hammered aluminum in my collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! (Although, I really don't mind polishing.)

      Delete
  6. I don't have a single piece of hammered aluminum but I do like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT? I'm rather surprised your grandmother or grandaunt didn't have at least ONE tray to pass on to you. They seemed to have had everything else. Maybe they just had the good stuff.

      Delete