Tuesday, April 2, 2019

A to Z April Challenge: B is for Blanket Chest


This is a continuation of LAST APRIL’s challenge about HEIRLOOMS. When my sister and I cleaned out our parents’ home, we had to make many decisions about what to do with all the stuff. Which things are truly “valuable” and which have only sentiment in their favor? Should we sell it, keep it, or throw it away? To help ensure a future for our family’s heirlooms, I plan to leave a booklet for my daughters telling the stories of what they will inherit one day. (Not TOO soon, I hope!)

is for Blanket Chest. Blanket chests were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries before closets were common. In their simplest form, blanket chests were just a box with a hinged lid. They were used for storing blankets, obviously, and for clothes and linens. Often they sat at the end of the bed to keep blankets in easy reach since very few homes had heat in the bedroom.

We don’t use the term “hope chest” much anymore, but a hope chest was nothing more than a blanket chest filled with all the things a bride brought to her husband - linens, dishes, cooking essentials, etc.


This blanket chest came to me from my grandaunt Violetta Davis Ryan. I have long forgotten where it was in her home, but I distinctly remember when I was aware of it. She asked what I would like her to leave to me. My answer was that I was most interested in the workaday items that she kept from her mother’s things, items like tools and kitchen gadgets. AND that blanket chest. I’m not sure why I added the blanket chest to my wish list. It is not very large, just a nice size in that Goldilocks kind of way. The simple construction is handsome. Today it is in one of my daughter’s former bedroom. 

There is a smaller one in her sister’s room. 

This one is not a family heirloom though. My mother found it in an antique shop and refinished it as one of her many summer projects. Instead of holding blankets, both chests contain some of the things that will go to the girls’ homes when the two of them clean out this place after Barry and I are gone.

Wendy
© 2019, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved

16 comments:

  1. Aren't you glad you added the Blanket Chest to your wish list? Worked out great for Letter 'B', and Aunt Violetta once again kept her name and heirloom treasures alive in your family history. I think that is special. Hope to see some of those kitchen gadgets. I had lots of stuff for my Hope Chest, but no chest...does a cardboard box count?
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed glad. And I'm glad you had a hope chest, no matter what it was made of. I never bothered with one - I guess I had no hope.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your A - Z April Challenge! Did I somehow miss the "A" yesterday?








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you did, but you are allowed to go back. HAHA. The link is in the sidebar.

      Delete
  3. Your blanket chest is so pretty! I have no linen closet downstairs and use one at the foot of my bed for sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the term blanket chest over hope chest. Both of yours that you have look nice!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the idea of a "hope chest" is rather old-fashioned. Brides today have a REGISTRY instead.

      Delete
  5. I remember such a chest in my family. But which house or where it ended up, I can't remember.
    http://findingeliza.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that always the way. Every now and then some toy or kitchen gadget or SOMETHING pops into my head making me wonder what became of it.

      Delete
  6. My family had cedar chests, but these blanket chests are lovely too. Vintage storage that is still useful today and preserves our heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the furniture stores in town used to give out mini-cedar chests to high school girls at graduation. Mine is still on my dresser. I used to keep jewelry in it, but now it has STUFF like a lock of baby hair, baby teeth, lace from my wedding gown.

      Delete
  7. And not only one, but two of them. I've got such a thing for wood furniture that holds and HIDES things. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiding things is an important job of furniture! LOL

      Delete
  8. I've never heard the term blanket chest before - always hope chest. However, I have three of them (not heirlooms) and do store blankets in them. One of them also has some baby items from my kids that I'd love for them to care about but so far, zero interest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blanket box. I have something similar that I’m told held my grandfather’s belongings when he was on the railways, moving around. It also reminds me of the shipping chests that I’ve seen for Irish immigrants in the 19th century.

    ReplyDelete