Thursday, April 4, 2019

A to Z April Challenge: D is for Demitasse


This is a continuation of LAST APRIL’s challenge about HEIRLOOMS. When my sister and I cleaned out our parents’ home, we had to make many decisions about what to do with all the stuff. Which things are truly “valuable” and which have only sentiment in their favor? Should we sell it, keep it, or throw it away? To help ensure a future for our family’s heirlooms, I plan to leave a booklet for my daughters telling the stories of what they will inherit one day. (Not TOO soon, I hope!)


is for demitasse. The word is French in origin meaning “half cup.” A demitasse cup is about half a full coffee cup. The four sets of demitasse cups and saucers are on display in the corner cupboard in my living room. They came to me from my maternal grandmother Lucille Rucker Davis. The set once belonged to her mother Mary Sudie Eppard Rucker.


Where Sudie Rucker got them is anyone’s guess since I never asked. The bottom of the cup is marked simply “Bavaria,” which signals that they are old. Porcelain china produced after 1871 was marked “Bavaria, Germany.”

These two little sets probably came from either my grandaunt Violetta Davis Ryan or her sister Velma Davis Woodring. They look decorative, more like a little knick-knack or souvenir than a set used for actual espresso.
The set on the left is marked Bavaria Harmony Harvest.
Indeed the nuts and colors used in the design are fitting.
The set on the right has no markings at all.
Also in my corner cupboard is a sweet little demitasse cup and saucer that is definitely NOT a family heirloom. It actually was given to me by my BFF Tish when she had to make those tough decisions about what to do with her mother’s things. This cup and saucer is called “Federal Style by Syracuse China.” The tiny floral artwork reminds me of the beautiful tatting that Tish’s mom created.


Wendy
© 2019, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful cups to havr. Youkve reminded me we inherited some fine blue porcelain demitasse cups from my husbandks side of the family but unfortunately we never thought to ask about their provenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have things too that have no story because I never asked. Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  2. These are all so pretty! Lovingly cared for too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you sometimes sip a cup of coffee from these little cups?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dainty little things. Your heirlooms list might be shorter if you had had boys. Speaking from experience (a brother and my Mom's teacups).

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty - a delight to the eye when one comes across them ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing the first set has survived through so many years...probably not used all that much, especially these days when MUGS are the cup of choice. Nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising they have survived. I can't imagine anyone wanting to save our coffee mugs that are in the kitchen cabinet right now.

      Delete
  7. I love that Tish gave you one of her mother's cups!

    ReplyDelete