Sunday, February 28, 2021

Sepia Saturday: 4 X 4

Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.


I am a day late and dollar short for this week’s Sepia Saturday challenge which is to post something to do with the number FOUR. Life got in the way, so I offer this lame post which is just four photos of four people. No story. Saving it for another day.

My grandaunt Violetta Davis 2nd 
from the left -
College friends about 1922

This photo was taken at one of the gates into the State Normal School at Harrisonburg, Virginia (now James Madison University – Go DUKES!).  The smart suits and hats suggest that Violetta and her friends were heading into town or to church. It was a RULE that students must be dressed up when walking to town. 










June 1925
Grandaunt Velma Davis,
friends Thelma Hockman,
Leta LeVow, and Unknown

This photo was taken outside one of the buildings on campus at the Harrisonburg Teachers College (now James Madison University – Go DUKES!), probably before everyone left for the summer. I wish I could identify the 4th girl. Velma roomed with Thelma and Leta. Likely the other girl was a good friend from the dorm.









What a happy group of girls. I surely wish I knew who they were. Probably they were friends of my grandaunt Helen Killeen. The picture was captioned "Easter 1918."

The Allen girls and Moi 1961 in our dress-ups
left to right: Anne, Mary, Peggy, ME

The Allen girls lived next door to me. We grew up together along with all the other kids on Frailey Place. Dress ups. Jump rope. Hopscotch. Mother May I. Red Light Green Light. Hide and Seek. Paper dolls. Picnics. I wish I had photos of the other kids too. Today we are all now Facebook friends. 

Please visit Sepia Saturday to see how the better-prepared bloggers stepped up to the challenge.

 Wendy

© 2021, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

10 comments:

  1. I loved seeing the outfits and the hats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely old photos...I wonder are you the far right girl in the last photo? Or which one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - and you're right. That's me. I edited to include the names.

      Delete
  3. Love the hats in the earlier photos. But my favorite is you with your neighborhood friends. I also grew up on a crowded street of Baby Boomer children who are now Facebook friends. We had a reunion of some "kids" and a couple of moms from our street in 2019 and the years dropped away as we reminisced about all that we got up to on our block as youngsters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would be a better match than four photos of four women/girls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, you should know better than to apologize. This is a perfect match to the prompt. No stories necessary, yet you added little tidbits and memories. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lame post? Geez it's not just perfect once but on a factor of 4. Even Auntie Miriam would give a score of 10!

    And those dress codes have not fared well considering the fashion habits of today's youth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy - not a lame post at all - you matched the prompt photo with images of happy foursomes. My favourite the first one, because their outfits were so typical of the times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fun photos, I especially like the third photo of the cheerful looking young ladies. Photos 3 and 4 -- don't you wonder what MyHeritage's photo enhancement would do with those, especially the last one which seems out of focus?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I miss childhood - we played many of the games you mentioned. My favorite was kick the can!

    ReplyDelete