Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wordless Wednesday: Boy With Cow

Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.

Boy with cow in photo album of Herbert Webb Parker probably early 1900s


This photo is pasted in an album that belonged to my grandaunt Helen Killeen Parker’s husband Herbert.  Therefore, I suspect this picture could be from his childhood, but I have no information about who this is or where or when the photo was taken. 

The quality of the photo has certainly diminished over time, especially with all that paste behind it, giving the appearance of a fake background.  However, because of the cow and chickens, I’m certain this was a real place that meant something to someone at some time.

Would you date this photo early 1900s? 




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. Charming photo. I imagine he did not normally wear a white sailor suit around the farm. It would not stay white long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I had the same thought as Colleen. That is not an outfit someone accustomed to working on the farm would have worn. I am wondering if this is a visitor--a child coming to visit grandparents or an aunt or uncle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was Easter Sunday, and they didn't have a rabbit.

      Delete
  3. I love that photo! I always wanted to live on a farm when I grew up...I am sure you will be able to figure out that person soon knowing you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following along the lines of Jacqi and Colleen's comments, I have another theory. Perhaps this little fellow was Herbert and he was the one visiting his grandparents or another family member. Do you know where this photo was taken?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or it could be Sunday and they have just one cow.... I guess the photo was at least 1910 but then I looked for boys' sailor suits and found these two links: http://fuzzylizzie.com/middy.html and
    http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1920skidsfashion.html. Maybe the photo was taken closer to 1920.

    I think it's a great photo. You don't often see photos of people standing in front of a field with a cow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen's scrapbook now days would be kicked out of scrapbook parties, she has no who, what, when, where and how on any of her pictures!

    Where was Herbert from?

    ReplyDelete