Tuesday, January 26, 2021

52 Ancestors - FAVORITE PHOTO: James Franklin Jollett

Today this is my “favorite photo.” Tomorrow it might change.


Why I love this photo:

Look at that sweet face. That is the face that fits the personality of my 2X great-grandfather James Franklin Jollett according to the stories I heard from his grandchildren.

From his granddaughter Violetta Davis Ryan:

He was a warm and loving grandfather who enjoyed his grandchildren. He cried when they came to visit. He cried when they left.

From his granddaughter Vessie Jollett Steppe:

During the Civil War, James Franklin Jollett was a guard accompanying some prisoners of war on a train on the way to a prison camp, I suppose. One of the prisoners said that he would just love to see his family one last time. James Franklin thought a minute, then said he was stepping outside to smoke. That is when the prisoner escaped. Hmm


Amy Johnson Crow continues to challenge genealogy bloggers and non-bloggers alike to think about our ancestors and share a story or photo about them. The challenge is “
52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks.
 

Wendy

© 2021, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

8 comments:

  1. And I’m adding to Vessie’s comments about “pap” He would sit in a wooden chair in the yard and peel apples for all the grandkids climbing all over him. If that isn’t the sweetest. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good one - I didn't know that story. It takes a village!

      Delete
  2. I had a grandfather who could wiggle his ears...we kids loved that. Then he could pick up a dime off the floor with his toes...really a scream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the personal stories - that's what makes the research perfect. And how smart of James Franklin to go outside for a smoke at that time - wonder if he even smoked? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful, warm tribute to your 2x great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My second great grandfather as well. My grandmother, Bee Bee (Vessie) had such fond memories of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - you must be one of Jolly and June's kids, but you're coming up as "Unknown." I'd love to chat more if you want - email me.

      Delete