Tuesday, January 5, 2021

52 Ancestors - BEGINNINGS: Baby Dress

Back in March of 2020, “Covid-19” was a new word in our vocabulary. Masks were not even mandated yet. An email from one “Ms Green” alerted me to a treasure in the attic of my grandparents’ home. She is the current owner of the house in the Cradock community of Portsmouth, Virginia, built by my grandfather in 1950. While installing new insulation in the attic, Ms Green discovered boxes and boxes of stuff that had belonged to my parents and grandparents.

My sister and I were quick to retrieve all that we could. I grabbed up letters, receipts, college notebooks, whatever was made of paper. My sister grabbed the baby clothes – some shoes, some diaper shirts (a sweet forerunner of the onesie), and DRESSES.

Here are two of the dresses as they looked after being in the attic for nearly 70 years:


 
Here is how one dress looked this past Christmas:

My dress looking like new!
Framed for posterity!

You might think this is a trick, a scam, maybe a photo of a different dress. But you don’t know my sister. Mary Jollette never met a stain she couldn’t remove. She and Fels Naptha are a mighty force. (Don’t tell, but she’s also been known to throw a little bathroom cleaner onto stubborn stains threatening otherwise lovely tablecloths.)

People of my generation are probably quite familiar with the lovely Feltman Brothers line of infant clothing. Delicate lace, pintucks, smocking and embroidery adorn day gowns, dresses, caps, rompers and christening sets made of cotton batiste in white, occasionally pink or blue. Our dresses were not by Feltman but look very much like them.

Pintucks and embroidery 
on the collar and bodice
Sweet embroidery along the hem
 





Ours were made in the Philippines by the Alfred Léon company. Etsy and eBay have plenty for sale ranging in price from $5 to $55.

Thank-you, Sista!

Amy Johnson Crow continues to challenge genealogy bloggers and non-bloggers alike to think about our ancestors and share a story or photo about them. The challenge is “52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks.

Wendy

© 2021, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, your sister did an amazing job whitening the little dresses. Well done! I think I have a few dresses similar to these, thankfully still white. Not all are from our family, though.
    It's fabulous that Ms. Green contacted you and you were able to retrieve so much of your family's possessions. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure and I'm so happy that you have it back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that the items survived and the current owner contacted you. Your sister did an amazing job cleaning up the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best find! I had always wondered why Momma didn’t keep
    our dresses since she was such a saver. Such a wonderful day visiting that attic, forever grateful to
    Ms. Green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful ending for that lovely keepsake! We have had the great granddaughters' photos taken in my grandmother's christening gown by the time they each turn 2years as a new tradition. We've had such great photographers who really make the moment shine! Grandma would be beaming I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful find and a great source of future blog posts. My favourite dress has to be the one with pin tucks and embroidery.

    ReplyDelete