Saturday, March 23, 2013

Fearless Females: March 23 Timeline for Mary Ann Armentrout

In celebration of Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist has presented 31 prompts to honor the “fearless females” in our family trees.

Today’s prompt:  Create a timeline for a female ancestor using your favorite software program or an online timeline generator such as Our Timelines.

Here is a timeline for my 3G-grandmother Mary Ann Armentrout, second wife of Fielding Jollett. She lived a long time and saw the very beginnings of the United States government, although some of the most interesting events happened when she was a child. (Click on the image to enlarge it.)



Here are some of the highlights:
  • There were 18 presidents in her lifetime, including the very first one, George Washington.
  • She saw the end of the Spanish Inquisition, beginning of the Ku Klux Klan, and voting rights given to black men.
  • She survived three Cholera pandemics.
  • She watched the country grow with the addition of the Louisiana Purchase.  She saw the addition of new territories and 22 states.
  • She survived an undeclared war on France, a number of Indian uprisings and the Seminole wars, relocation of the Cherokee, War of 1812, Mexican-US War, and Civil War.
  • She saw the publication of Webster’s Dictionary and Darwin’s Origin of Species.
  • She was around for some amazing inventions:  Smallpox vaccine, the steamboat, typewriter and telegraph, disinfection, ship’s propeller, internal combustion engine, dynamite, and rifle barrel.
  • And she was around for some amazing discoveries including the Rosetta Stone, Halley’s Comet, and Pompeii.



© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. I love these time line posts. It is fun to imagine what they must have thought about these things. No one kept a diary in our bunch did they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No diaries that I'm aware of. I wonder how much they actually knew about.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing to think about the things that some of our ancestors have seen. I always meant to ask my grandparents their thoughts about world events, but I didn't take the opportunity to do so. I regret that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never asked my grandparents anything either. I think I did't know they had a life other than being a grandparent to the most adorable kid in town. It's all about me.

      Delete
  3. Hello! I have enjoyed reading your blog for some time & have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Please read my blog on Thursday, March 28 to read the rules, etc. Please keep posting! Colleen
    http://leavesnbranches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! 18 presidents! How old was she when she died? I love timelines. Especially when they include historical events as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I don't have an exact birth date, I am guessing Mary Ann was between 70 and 80 when she died.

      Delete
  5. Wow. She saw some amazing events. I bet you wish you could talk to her!

    ReplyDelete