Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Fearless Females: March 5 How They Met

In celebration of Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist has presented 31 prompts to honor the “fearless females” in our family trees.

Today’s prompt:  You’ve documented marriages, now, go back a bit. Do you know the story of how your parents met? Your grandparents?

Yesterday I wrote about my grandparents’ surprise elopement.  But the story of their courtship is the stuff of Chick Flicks.

My grandfather Orvin Davis was dating the very pretty and popular Rosalind, one of Shenandoah’s finest.

Rosalind Rucker Basham, Shenandoah, Virginia
Rosalind Mae Rucker Basham
1903-1973
He must have waited many evenings in the parlor at Rosalind’s house on Fourth Street, possibly chatting politely with Rosalind’s father Joe, while Rosalind was upstairs fixing her hair and dabbing on just the slightest hint of perfume.  No doubt Orvin spied out of the corner of his eye Rosalind’s younger sister descending the stairs and turning left into the kitchen.

Lucille Rucker Davis
Lucille Rucker Davis
1904 - 1990



How many times did this scene play out before Orvin shifted gears and started calling on Rosalind’s younger sister Lucille?  


Those had to be some awkward evenings waiting in the parlor.


Rosalind did not take it well.  I wonder if there was any hair pulling.



Mary Eleanor Davis Slade
Mary Eleanor Davis Slade
1929-2005















And just as my grandfather KNEW Lucille was the one, my dad was immediately taken with Orvin and Lucille’s daughter (my mother).  They met on a blind date.  Daddy always said when he saw Momma come out of the house carrying that big bowl of potato salad, he knew she was THE ONE.   

And he hadn’t even tasted the potato salad!





© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

10 comments:

  1. How lovely, so blind dates can work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see that movie!

    Wonderful story. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder who would play the main characters.

      Delete
  3. I bet it was weird between Rosalind and Grandma for a while! I wonder what Joe and Mary Sudie thought about Granddaddy. Hey, I bet Granddaddy would have been great on the Bachelor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the name "Rosalind" is rather prophetic then - perfect for being dissed in the rose ceremony.

      Delete
  4. Oh, perhaps this answers my question as to why they eloped. Perhaps the thought of a traditional wedding with Rosalind there was just a little too much to handle. And really, would Rosalind want to be a bridesmaid at this wedding? Um, probably not.

    The story about your parents is so sweet. And why wouldn't he fall for her? She's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both stories! I agree with Jana - maybe a traditional wedding was just a bit much. I was surprised to learn that my grandparents didn't have a traditional wedding, especially since both families apparently had the money for one. But since they married about 4 months after WWI ended (and my grandfather was in the service), I guess it makes sense. But I sure would have loved to see their wedding photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I think you need to share the potato salad recipe!

      Delete
    2. You must be a mind-reader. "Share a recipe" is the prompt for March 7.

      Now I'm surprised too that your grandparents didn't have a big wedding, based on the letters you've posted. They seem to have been genteel and quite social. I wonder if friends and neighbors were disappointed that they didn't host a lavish event.

      Delete