Monday, March 4, 2013

Fearless Females: March 4 Marriage Record

In celebration of Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist has presented 31 prompts to honor the “fearless females” in our family trees.

Today’s prompt:  Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.

I envy my fellow bloggers who have photos of their grandparents’ and great-grandparents’ weddings to share.   I have no wedding pictures, but I do have a record for one set of grandparents, and a pretty cute little story, but you get only half of the story today.  

My maternal grandmother Lucille Rucker had been accepted into nursing school in Washington D. C.  My grandfather Orvin Davis was supposed to be driving her to the school.  Instead, one fine day in September 1923, they went to Hagerstown, Maryland and got married. 


Marriage record Orvin Davis and Lucille Rucker


I have to wonder what kind of sweet talk transpired between them to make them decide against a career. 

Orvin and Lucille Rucker Davis, Shenandoah, Virginia 1925
My grandparents
Orvin and Lucille Rucker Davis
1925 - expecting their first baby

Tomorrow I'll tell about how they met.  It's a good one.



© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet picture!

    Looking forward to the rest of the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome couple! Hard pressed to find a wedding photo when they eloped! Very romantic tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. If only my grandparents had had a smart phone!

      Delete
  3. Oh boy, I wish I was participating in this challenge. I have the wedding invitation (original) for my great grandparents! Plus, I have the letter that my grandfather wrote to his future in-laws asking for their permission to marry their daughter.....and their response back to him. What a beautiful story and one I love holding in my hands. I can't wait until tomorrow to hear how your grandparents met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! You have so much good stuff that the prompts would practically write themselves.

      Delete
  4. Momma looks a lot like Grandma, except their noses. Granddaddy was so handsome and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, now I'm wondering why they eloped instead of having a traditional wedding? Perhaps the answer is in a follow-up post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I will have to disappoint. I wish I knew, but I don't. My youth was ME, ME, ME - I never thought to ask those burning questions.

      Delete
    2. I think that was how it was with most of us when we were younger. I wish I had asked so many questions when I had the chance. But did I? No.

      Delete