Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Wordless Wednesday: Gone to the Dogs #16

Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.


Mascot of the USCGC Eastwind 1946-47  http://jollettetc.blogspot.com
Skunk
Mascot on the USCGC Eastwind 

This is Skunk.  He was a much-loved mascot on the USCGC Eastwind when my dad was in the Coast Guard 1946-47.  I wrote about Skunk HERE.

Counting down the number of photos of dogs in my collection




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.





11 comments:

  1. What an awful name, but probably fitting. He looks like a sweet dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went back and read about Skunk and your post from 2 years ago. I also have my dad's scrapbook of his days in the Air Force...and again I only recall a few war storied I overheard as a youngster. My dad was also in Greenland and Iceland during WWII. How I wish I had those stories now.
    Happy Hump Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daddy said Greenland was the coldest place he had ever been. But I don't remember hearing any particular stories about what he did there. I know the Coast Guard delivered supplies to the Air Force base there. It would be fun to compare photos and see if your dad has photos of Thule similar to my dad's.

      Delete
  3. Ah! I was beginning to think you were delving into dog genealogy, Wendy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww.....he does look like a sweet dog to me too, although definitely wet and cold. He must not have minded it if he kept coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to my dad, Skunk was well-loved and cared for.

      Delete
  5. What a cutie! I wanted to say hi and thanks again for your visit, Wendy. I still have a gift for your sweet sister when I figure out why my scanner isn't working ... it is a 1950's florist book. I want to scan it for me and send it to her. It's pretty cool.

    Hugs,
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor fellow with a name like Skunk. I still think his coloring resembles an Airedale.

    ReplyDelete