Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday: Stephen and Mary


Tombstone Tuesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers which asks bloggers to create a post including an image of a gravestone of one or more ancestors; it may also include a brief description of the image or the ancestor.


My great-grandparents Stephen F. Slade and Mary Effie Morrison Slade are buried in the Olive Branch Cemetery in Portsmouth, Virginia.

from Findagrave.com
photo by Steve Poole
THEIR LIVES WERE BEAUTY, TRUTH, GOODNESS, AND LOVE

Stephen F. Slade
Feb 1871 (Florida) - 4 Oct 1928 (Portsmouth, VA)

Mary Morrison Slade
1878 (Tennessee) - 1959 (Portsmouth, VA)




©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. I know I've said this before, but I really do like looking at these old stones. My friends think I'm morbid because I like to walk around cemeteries. Oh, well... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too. But it would take weeks to stroll through Olive Branch Cemetery -- that place is huge.

      Delete
  2. Wendy, such a lovely sentiment for the inscription!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The epitaph on their grave is so beautiful. They must have been wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder who keeps the flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder too -- Little Rosie??? Maybe nobody now.

      Delete