Friday, June 22, 2012

Sepia Saturday: Up in the air

Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.




This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt is a popular carnival ride:  the swings.  It happens to be my favorite because for this Big Chicken it offers the maximum stomach-dropping thrill.  No roller coaster for me, thank-you. 

And no roller coaster or swinging carousel for my great-aunt Velma Davis Woodring and her friends either.  They found a different thrill, a different way to test gravity. Velma’s college scrapbook does not elaborate on the summer of 1924 when she and her chums climbed onto some structure, perhaps a bridge, and posed for pictures.  


High up?
Bill Porter
Unknown and Velma Davis
Up in the air?
Bill Porter
Virginia Cole

The captions with question marks make me wonder if Velma was teasing.  Were they really high up?  Or was there some trick photography designed to fool the eye?  Maybe they were not as high in the sky as it appears. It looks pretty dangerous though.


Swing on over to Sepia Saturday for more high flying adventures.




©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

26 comments:

  1. Daring young ladies: climbing high & wearing pants! wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks scary enough to me!

    I've never been on a roller coaster. Just the thought of them makes me feel like passing out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look so relaxed that I somehow doubt they're up very high.

      Delete
  3. It makes me think that they are going to fall, but they don't look very concerned! Great find, Miss Wendy.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they don't. The girl on top is especially calm and collected.

      Delete
  4. I've heard of daring you men on a flying trapeze, but girls on a girder I didn't expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew -- need to get my glasses checked -- I first read that as girls on a girdle.

      Delete
    2. You must be dyslexic like me. So did I...

      Delete
  5. I don't go on rides, and I get scared just walking near the side of a bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a rides person -- just those phony rides at Disney like the Haunted Mansion and It's a Small World. I even gave up the tea-cups - really, I know we're not going to crash but oh golly it feels like it.

      Delete
  6. They are amazing! great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judging by the height of the trees and bushes in the landscape below they aren’t too high up. However, if it’s a bridge I assume it was over a river - let’s hope it wasn’t a raging torrent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not a full-fledged river -- maybe a stream. Let's hope.

      Delete
  8. I'm scared of heights, so that looks high up enough for me! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you think the girls were wearing school uniforms? Their clothes look similiar, especially the girls standing in the picture on the left. Don't like heights and can't imagine standing up there if they were on a bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so, but I agree the jackets look similar. Some similar photos of other girls in the yearbook make me think these pictures could have been taken at the YWCA Camp.

      Delete
  10. So which one is Bill. They all look like girls to me.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill is the girl on top of the girder. Yeah -- Bill. She is identified in Velma's scrapbook as Bill, which I thought was some kind of joke. However, there she is in the yearbook -- Bill Porter.

      Delete
  11. Looking at the power lines in the background, they can't be as high as it appears. Look at how casual and at ease that Bill is! Great pictures that show a fun loving and cheeky streak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye! I hadn't even noticed the power lines.

      Delete
  12. Have knickerbockers, will climb? I like the right hand photo posed holding the girder up, so funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she must've been a strong girl. HA!

      Delete
  13. Lovely pictures of girls perhaps standing 3 feet above ground, except for the foolhardy Bill!!
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete