Thursday, March 15, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday: Singing the Blues

Treasure Chest Thursday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that focuses on a family heirloom.


My grandparents
Julia and Fred Slade
Christmas 1970
My Granny Slade (Julia Mary Walsh Slade) loved blue.   She didn’t have much in the way of luxury and finer things in her later years, but she managed to hold on to some beautiful blue glassware that I’m lucky to have inherited. 

There are only 2 of these glasses, but the detail is lovely.



This is a sweet little creamer.  I like to use it when I serve coffee to guests.



Granny owned several hand-enameled tumblers and a cruet.




But my favorite pieces are the blue punch cups.


There are 12 of them.  They are Radiance Ice Blue by New Martinsville.  This manufacturer was famous for its use of color, and I can see why.  New Martinsville produced tableware, vanities, lamps, and barware (even throughout prohibition).  I keep these punch cups at the top of my collection of varied cups in a punch bowl in my dining room. It looks like a bowl of bubbles.
 


 
Granny even decorated her Christmas tree with blue lights.  The tree always made the room feel icy (in a good way) and rather mystical. 

Granny Slade
Christmas 1952

©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty pieces, I can see why she treasured them. The punch cup is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure missed this post. I must have been sick. Granny loved blue! She always had something nice to say, and was so excited if we were doing something fun. =)

    ReplyDelete