Thursday, March 8, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday: Helen's Crystal

Treasure Chest Thursday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that focuses on a family heirloom.


My great aunt Helen Killeen Parker and her husband had good jobs.  As a result, they always enjoyed comfortable furnishings and finer things.  She was the only person I knew who actually changed her carpet, slipcovers and drapes with the seasons. 

Helen’s formal dining room was beautifully decorated with mahogany furniture, gold mirrors, and china cabinets.  Whenever we were invited to eat, she used her fine china, silver, and crystal.


When Helen passed away, I inherited her crystal.  The pattern is one of many rose designs by Fostoria, but I have been unable to identify which one. 



I have water glasses, sherbets, and a pitcher.  They occupy the bottom shelf of my antique china press, but they do get used from time to time, mostly on special occasions.  When I have company, I use the pitcher for ice water. 


©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my her crystal for you...in stunning! You are very lucky to receive it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I missed this post the other day but I did!

    I forgot how many nice things you inherited from Aunt Helen; very pretty!

    ReplyDelete