Thursday, February 23, 2012

Those Places Thursday: Frazier Cabin Revisited

Those Places is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that invites family historians to post photos and stories about places their ancestors lived. 


Last week I posted this picture of the Frazier cabin on Frazier Mountain in Greene County, Virginia. 

Photo by Kevin Frazier

When I was looking through my Frazier files, I spied this next photo which was sent to me by John and Janet Thompson hoping I could help identify the people.




 
The white-bearded man is Henry Timber Frazier, John Thompson’s great-grandfather and my 1st cousin 4 times removed.  Henry Timber was the son of Miley Frazier who once owned 1000 acres on this mountain, and grandson of John and Lucy Frazier.  I’ve been unable to identify the others in the picture, but probably it’s one of Henry Timber’s sons and his wife and children OR a daughter and her husband and children.  Or not. 


As much as I’d like to be able to identify these people, I am drawn to the building.  Doesn’t it look like the ruin in the previous picture?  I think so.  It seems too small to have been a house, so maybe it was a shed or smokehouse or other outbuilding.  Whatever it is, I’m excited to see this family on their own land before it was taken by the government to establish the Skyline Drive.



©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Mysteries, and unexpected people or places to uncover who and what they are...always such a delightful joy, right! What an amazing place that cabin was....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes on hikes in our mountains of North Carolina we come across the remains of some "ancient" farm like this. The surprise is how remote and high the old families worked. Timber lines were different because so much of the Appalachian forest were logged out. I'm sure the families enjoyed these special trips to see the old pastures and farms. I vote for smoke house, too.

    ReplyDelete