Friday, January 6, 2012

Sepia Saturday: Cwazy Wabbit!

Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.




This week’s Sepia Saturday challenge photo shows a young girl shaving an angora rabbit.  I was not sure I could live up to this challenge as we are not much of an animal family, but ta da!  I found this:

Orvin Owen Davis, Jr. 
June 25, 1925 – Dec. 10, 1987

That’s my mother’s brother Orvin Davis, Jr. at – what do you think – age four or five?  I love how he and the rabbit are checking each other out.  The rabbit looks like he’s ready to hop away, and if he knew Orvin Jr., that would be the smart thing to do. 


Looking at this photo, I can see my uncle as I knew him.  He always stood exactly like that:  feet spread, stomach out, and arms dangling slightly behind his body.  When I was a little girl, he’d drop his head to look at me -- just like in this photo –- and pause before coming up with some foolish question or statement to get me riled up.   He did love to tease.  The rabbit probably knew that too!






16 comments:

  1. But who's in charge? We looked after a friend's rabbit once but he proved to be an ecape artist. Known as 'Hop-a-long' he hopped that quickly it took hours to catch him.
    Orvin looks to have this rabbit weighed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovley little pen portrait Wendy to go with a charming photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really cute photo. It looks like they are having a conversation. Maybe your uncle is asking the rabbit a foolish question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a perfect photo to match the rabbit. The rabbit looks like it is about to sit up like a dog to me and how lucky to have this snapshot taken...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I love about SS. You thought you did not have a photo and Wala you found one and memories to go with it. It is precious. Great job.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was the animal lover in the family that is for sure. I bet if he could have driven at that age the rabbit would have "hopped" in the car like all the neighborhood dogs did when he was older! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rabbit does look like it's standing up to beg but also like it's about to make a fast get-away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orvin and the rabbit look pleased to see each other. Very cute photo :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect fit and a fabulous photo. I agree with QMM, SS at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why I do believe that bunny rabbit is doing some cute tricks! Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like an image that could have been from a children's book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable photograph. I'm surprised at all the Sepia Saturday contributors who have family photos of people with rabbits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wendy, you have not only come up to the challenge, you have surpassed it. A great post based on a wonderful old photograph. Sepia Saturday at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow this reminds me of Alice in wonderland :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suspect the rabbit expected some kind of treat from Orwin... Great pic! It certainly is amusing to see the both of them like that.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete