Monday, January 9, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy: Week 2 Paid Genealogy Tools

This is the second week of Amy Coffin's Abundant Genealogy series.  Go me -- I'm 2 for 2!


Week 2 – Paid Genealogy Tools: Which paid genealogy tool do you appreciate the most? What special features put it at the top of your list? How can it help others with their genealogy research?

Oh man, I hate when I have to confess my sins.  I have only ONE paid genealogy tool: Ancestry dot com.  The reasons to love this site are obvious:

·         Easy access to census records
·         Easy access to OTHER documents (although my counties seem never to be represented )
·         Member connections  to contact others conducting similar research
·         Tutorials
·         Easy to use


Since I use Family Tree Maker for storing my family data and creating charts, I see those green leaf icons that alert me to more information at Ancestry.  I’m not one to trust everything in print -- actual or virtual -- but it’s good to be able to use other people’s research immediately.  I’ve found names that I probably would never have learned about otherwise.  Ancestry makes it easy to start verifying my new found information right on the spot. 


So why do I not pay for other popular sites like Fold3, Archives, or Genealogy Bank?  I guess I’m cheap.  Every time I get that pop-up saying to try it now for free, I’m tempted UNTIL I have to enter a credit card that will be charged once I forget to cancel.  So I back out. Reviews of Archives and Genealogy Bank reinforce my gut feeling that they offer nothing different from Ancestry, so I’m probably not missing anything. 


1 comment:

  1. Wendy, if you are doing military research you might want to be brave & try Fold3. I have found it to be very useful.
    Colleen
    http://www.pasqualefamily.net/web/

    ReplyDelete