Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday: Millard & Edith Davis

Tombstone Tuesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers which asks bloggers to create a post including an image of a gravestone of one or more ancestors; it may also include a brief description of the image or the ancestor.


Since I posted Millard Davis’s obituary recently, it makes sense to post his tombstone today.




Millard Davis and his wife Edith are buried in the Coverstone Cemetery (formerly known as the EUB Church Cemetery) in Shenandoah, Virginia.  Visiting this cemetery is like going to a family reunion.  Almost all of Mary Frances Jollett Davis’s sisters and brothers are there (exceptions:  Leanna Jollett Knight and Burton Lewis Jollett, both of whom are in Greene County, VA).  Mary Frances’s children are all there (my grandfather and his brothers and sisters). 


The Davis family had a plot with a family marker and corner stones.






But I have to say this (since I’m a sick person), isn’t “Coverstone” a funny name for a cemetery?  It’s not meant to be funny, obviously.  Coverstone is a prominent family name in Page County, Virginia.  I believe the Coverstones owned the land that became the final resting place for so many of Shenandoah’s citizens.  [I’m sure I read that somewhere.  But can I find it now?  Of course not!]







1 comment:

  1. It is nice when you find a cemetery with lots of family all in one spot!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete