Saturday, May 15, 2021

Sepia Saturday: Negative Selfie

Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.


One interpretation of this week’s Sepia Saturday challenge is shadows. I am always amused seeing the person behind the camera cast across the foreground of a photo. Identifying who it was that left his or her mark often becomes a game.

Although I don't know who these people are in the photo, the shadow photographer looks like my grandaunt Helen Killeen Parker. I have seen that hairdo in many photos of  her.
















Here is Helen herself, but the photographer is a mysterious blob.


Is that the same mysterious blob who took this photo of Mae, Helen’s sister, Mae’s husband Cliff Holland, and Helen?

Mae and Cliff Holland, Helen Killeen



Mae and Cliff’s son John – a.k.a. “The Boss” – cast a long shadow as did others enjoying a fine time in Ocean View.



This photo from a group of similar photos belonging to my grandaunt Helen is her friends, likely waiting to board a canal boat for a little cruise.

 











Moving on to my grandaunt Velma Davis Woodring’s photos, this one is easy. My grandmother on the 
Fleta and Ben Jr
Lucille and Orvin Jr
right is holding her baby Orvin Jr. The other woman is Fleta, the wife of my grandfather’s cousin Ben Davis,  holding her baby Ben Jr. Because I have a companion photo of the proud papas holding their new sons, I know the shadows are Ben on the left and my grandfather on the right. The hat is unmistakable.  

 









The shadows in the last 2 belong to Velma. She documented her first year in college with lots of photos of her dormmates and friends.

 

Velma's roommate
Leta LaVow

I know beyond the shadow of a doubt there are some great stories and photos to enjoy at Sepia Saturday. 

Wendy

© 2021, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. A perfect match to the prompt! What a great collection of shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always notice the shadow of the photographer in old photos, too. Looking at your photos I remember now that when I was a child we were always asked to face the sun so, were told, the camera had enough light. The result, of course, is that nearly everyone is squinting. I wonder of those early cameras came with instructions telling how to take the best photos. If people were like me, they didn't read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your interpretation with shadows. Makes me want to go back and look at all of my photos with the Shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is particularly cool when the photographer's shadow is in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific detective work! It's so true that in family photos there is always someone missing from the group and it's the person with the camera. My dad, as a camera enthusiast, was always the odd man out. In many of those early shadow snapshots the photographer is using a box camera looking down at a tiny mirror viewfinder. They put the sun at their back in order to shade the viewfinder, but can't see their shadow in front of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shadows in photographs, funny. I don't like shadows in photographs usually but these are cute because of your notes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just great and gave me a good laugh. I have a whole series of these taken in various ancestral cemeteries, with shadows of me and my dad in them. We were a bit new at genealogy road trips at the time and hadn't quite mastered the art of stepping aside!

    ReplyDelete