Amy Johnson Crow of No Story Too Small has issued a challenge: write one blog post each week devoted to a specific ancestor. It can be a story, a biography, a photograph, an outline of a research problem – anything that focuses on one ancestor.
Melinda Jollett was the seventh child and seventh daughter born to James and Nancy Walker Jollett, making her my third great grandaunt. But there’s nothing LUCKY about that number 7.
“Lucky” would mean I have found her consistently in census records.
“Lucky” would mean I have birth, marriage, death dates for Melinda’s full family line.
“Lucky” would mean I have connected with a cousin, one of Melinda’s great-great-great grandchildren.
None of that.
I have two records. The End.
A marriage record in Orange County shows she was born around 1800 in Orange County, Virginia and married Thomas Marsh on March 12, 1822. Her brother Simeon served as bondsman. Simeon and his wife Nancy Glass were witnesses.
So it seems logical that I should find a family for Thomas Marsh in 1830. Nope. 1840? Nope. I suppose they could have been living with another family.
Perhaps they left the area in the mid-1830s along with brother Simeon and sister Clarissa. But I see no signs of it.
In 1850, TA DA – the rather large Thomas and "Melindey" Marsh family had settled in Putnam County, then Virginia but now West Virginia since the Civil War. Seven children.
In my family tree database, every one of those seven children offers multiple “shakey leaf” hints, but only two offer more information than the projected birthdates gleaned from the 1850 census. It looks like Thomas and Melinda and five of the children were simply wiped off the face of the earth before 1860.
Melinda JOLLETT (Abt. 1800 Orange Co, Virginia - ) & Thomas MARSH (1796 - ) 12 Mar 1822 Orange Co, Virginia
1. Julia A. MARSH (1830 Virginia - )
2. William MARSH (1832 Virginia – 1862 Crenshaw, Alabama) & Louise LOFTIN (13 Mar 1836 – 28 Oct 1915 Crenshaw, Alabama) 16 Jun 1853
- George William MARSH (10 Apr 1854 – 18 Aug 1863 Crenshaw, Alabama)
- John H. MARSH (18 Jul 1859 – 18 Aug 1863 Crenshaw, Alabama)
- Willie Frances MARSH (Jan 1863 – 1928 Crenshaw, Alabama)
3. Joseph A. MARSH (1834 Virginia - ) & Elizabeth Jane STEELE (1829 Mason, Virginia - ) 20 Aug 1854
- America Anna MARSH (4 Jul 1850 Virginia - 24 Jun 1941 Boyd, Kentucky) & James EADS (29 Feb 1852 West Virginia - 23 Jan 1940 in Catlettsburg, Boyd, Kentucky)
- Minerva Jane MARSH (18 Mar 1858 Point Pleasant, Mason, West Virginia - 16 Sep 1936 Point Pleasant, Mason, West Virginia) & m1) Jonathan FIELDER (1852 in Ohio - West Virginia)
- James M. MARSH (1865 West Virginia - )
- Robert Lee MARSH (1868 West Virginia - 27 Aug 1928 Nutter Fort, Harrison, West Virginia) & Laura COZAD 1 Mar 1902 Barbour Co, West Virginia
- Elizabeth MARSH (1871 West Virginia - )
4. Mary J. MARSH (1837 Virginia - )
5. John G. MARSH (1839 Virginia - )
6. Benjamin F. MARSH (1841 Virginia - )
7. Sarah M. MARSH (1843 Virginia - )