Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wednesday's Child: Artubine Jollett


Wednesday’s Child is one of the daily blogging prompts at Geneabloggers that features gravestones of children. 


16 Dec 1853 – 27 Oct 1862

Artubine Joseph Jollett was my first cousin 3 times removed.  He was born the first child of my second great grand uncle John Wesley Jollett and his wife Sarah Elizabeth Smith.  He lived his short life along Naked Creek in Page County, Virginia.  He is buried in the Jollett United Methodist Church Cemetery on the hill behind the church. 




©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

10 comments:

  1. We have a Wednesday's Child feature on our news station - to help foster children find adoptive homes. Wonder what happened to Artubine. Was there a breakout of illness? Was he in some kind of accident? Curious post that makes me want to know more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder too. My money is on an epidemic. I could probably find out if I tried, but so far I haven't.

      Delete
  2. Artubine.......now there's a name you don't see every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't. In one census, he's listed as Joseph O, as in Otterbein who was the founder of the United Brethren Church which merged with the Methodists. John Wesley Jollett was a Methodist minister, so I wonder if the name came from his appreciation of Phillip Otterbein. I don't know what happened with the spelling though.

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy...I'm always drawn to infant and children headstones when I photograph headstones for Find A Grave. The older ones are very interesting. It's good that your little cousin's has important details...so many don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This headstone interests me because it's metal, not stone. It's the only one like it in the cemetery, I do believe.

      Delete
  4. The reason he died would be interesting to learn.

    Too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting first name. Have you ever heard of it before or nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Sue, I'm drawn to the graves of children when I visit old cemeteries (or the old sections of "newer" cemeteries). I'm always curious about what happened to them. Sad.

    ReplyDelete