Sunday, January 5, 2014

52 Ancestors: #1 - Morris Jollett

Amy Johnson Crow of No Story Too Small has issued a challenge:  write one blog post each week devoted to a specific ancestor.  It can be a story, a biography, a photograph, an outline of a research problem – anything that focuses on one ancestor.




My first stop on a hippity hop tour through my database is Morris Jollett.

Morris Jollett - aka Morris Jolley and aka Morriss Jollott - lived in Westmoreland County, which is on the Potomac River on the Northern Neck of Virginia.  I sometimes wonder if he knew his famous neighbors, the Washingtons, the Monroes, and the Lees.



Map of Westmoreland County
image courtesy of FamilySearch.org


The few documents I’ve found for Morris Jollett include a record of a patent for his cattle brand in 1711 and again in 1716.  Three years later he was a witness in an inquisition into the death of a man who had drowned.  Then in 1732 his Westmoreland County estate was settled and presented for record by his son William.

I'm not sure how Morris Jollett is related, but surely he must be.  I'm just a few generations away from connecting the dots between his son William and my 4G grandfather James Jollett.

To do list:
Look for a will
Look for the document by which his estate was settled




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to enjoy this series of posts. ☺ I hope you're able to find the information you need about Morris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really peeks my attention. I might just have to follow this journey as well. Your research here is quite impressive, what a great place to begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one other Jollett older than Morris, but no information -- just a name.

      Delete
  3. Jollett doesn't sound like a common name - I hope you can find how he's related to your known ancestor. I have a similar situation in my ancestry and can't seem to break through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jollett is not a common name which is a blessing AND a curse.

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking of joining this challenge, too, although mine would have to be 51 ancestors as I haven't started yet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you squeak one in today, you should be able to make it 52, but who's counting??

      Delete
  5. Wendy,

    I like how you're hippity hopping through your database for this challenge. I'll probably do the same thing too. Good luck with your research on Morris Jollet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so cool to find those tidbits of information in those old documents!

    ReplyDelete