Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday: Benjamin Davis


Tombstone Tuesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers which asks bloggers to create a post including an image of a gravestone of one or more ancestors; it may also include a brief description of the image or the ancestor.


from Findagrave - photo by Jan Hensley
Elk Run Cemetery, Elkton, Virginia

 DAVIS
Benjamin H. 
May 16, 1888 – July 13, 1975

Fleeta T. 
May 6, 1888 – Dec. 1, 1973


Benjamin Harrison Davis was my first cousin twice removed.  I wrote just recently about discovering his existence along with the identities of several of his children.

Ben was my great-aunt Velma Woodring’s first cousin.  They must have been somewhat close.  In her wedding booklet where guests signed their names, he is one of the few cousins from the Davis side of the family.  Most of the guests were from the Jollett side. 

He and Fleeta had 10 daughters and 1 son.  My dad once said that no man had lived unless he had raised two daughters.  Ben must have been a lucky man.  




©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. I've only just realised my grandfather had the same surname - Davis. He also came from a large family - seven boys and one girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shucks -- almost enough to match up with Ben's children!

      Delete
  2. Very lucky! My dad comes from a family that had five boys and five girls; his father was pretty lucky, too. And so was my dad, with one son and two daughters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luck is running in your family too. Wonderful!

      Delete
  3. I'm betting he was super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! 10 daughters and 1 son. What a wonderful family!

    That must have been quite the lively household too. Do you know how big their house was? Hmm, I wonder how many bathrooms it had. Can you imagine how long it must have taken for all those girls to get ready to go out anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! I know nothing about their house. Of course, back then the girls probably weren't tweezing their eyebrows, and they probably had only a couple dresses to decide between. HA!!

      Delete