Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wordless Wednesday: Us and No More

Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.

From left to right:
Thelma Hockman, Leta LeVow, Velma Davis
This building looks a lot like Hillcrest, home
to the school president, but it might also
have been Cleveland Cottage.

This photo appears in my great-aunt Velma Davis Woodring’s scrapbook that she kept 1924-25 as a freshman in Harrisonburg Teachers College (now James Madison University).  It is dated March 1925.  The caption below the picture is “Us and no more.”  Leta LeVow and Velma were definitely roommates. I wonder if Thelma was the third roommate.



©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. Isn't 'Bill' an odd name for a girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. At first I thought Velma was being funny captioning one of the pictures "Bill." Then I found Bill Porter in the yearbook. I wonder if it was a nickname for Wilhelmina or Billie Jean (although I don't think this name was in vogue in the early 1900s).

      Delete
  2. What does the caption mean? Am I missing something? It's quite possible--it's been one of those days... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know, but I take it to mean something like "we're the three muskateers -- three and no more!" Three best pals. But to throw a monkey wrench in that interpretation, Velma also has photos of 5 girls with captions indicating they're a little clique of 5 best pals. Going back to the 3, I wonder if they're roommates -- pictures of their dorm room show 3 beds.

      Delete
  3. Fun picture! That's quite a house in the background. What is Cleveland Cottage that you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleveland Cottage was a farmhouse that was on the property that had been purchased for the college. It was used as an infirmary and classroom space. Stay tuned -- I have a picture in tomorrow's post about the swimming pool.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Those eyes and shape of their faces -- spooky.

      Delete