Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday: Joe and Sudie

Tombstone Tuesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers which asks bloggers to create a post including an image of a gravestone of one or more ancestors; it may also include a brief description of the image or the ancestor.


My great-grandparents Joseph Calhoun and Mary Susan “Sudie” Eppard Rucker are buried in a Rucker family plot in the Methodist Church Cemetery in Shenandoah, Virginia.

Joseph Calhoun Rucker
26 July 1874 - 1933

Mary Susan "Sudie" Eppard Rucker
Oct 1875 - 1958





















With them are two sons Willie and Ray who died at a young age, and their oldest son George Everett Rucker with his wife Ollie Coakley Rucker.




©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is. Who wouldn't want to die there? HA!

      Delete
  2. I love walking around old cemeteries. Some of the gravestones are absolutely beautiful, and others are so touching I could cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I especially like the really old stones and children's stones.

      Delete
  3. I spend alot of time in cemeteries as a Volunteer Photographer for Find a Grave, and I'm always touched at the ones that describe the person as mother and father. Like you I like the really old stones, children and infants. I usually take photos of them regardless of whether they are on my request list or not. I do like the nickname 'Sudie'...hmmmmm...nobody ever called me that though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm -- Sudie McPeak sounds too much like Nanny McPhee.

      Delete