Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wordless Wednesday: Mary E. at the bush

Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.

Mary Eleanor Davis Slade Shenandoah, VA  1932 or 1933
Mary Eleanor Davis about 1933


My mother Mary Eleanor Davis (later Slade) probably spent a lot of time at her grandparents’ home on Sixth Street.  After all, she grew up right across the street.

This is the 9th picture in a series of photos taken with the Weeping Mulberry at my great-grandparents’ home in Shenandoah, Virginia. 



© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

12 comments:

  1. Sweet! I have some pictures of me taken in front of some sort of bush in my grandma's front yard. I'd forgotten about that. :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might find a bunch of pictures in front of a bush -- I think it's a universal phenomenon.

      Delete
  2. I used to have a copy of this picture in my cube at work. Such a sweet picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was so lucky. Families are so spread out anymore and few children have the advantage of Grandparents across the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. I grew up next door to one set of grandparents. My kids grew up close to one set of grandparents who were very involved in their lives. It's a good way to do things.

      Delete
  4. The mulberry is so large! I think it would be interesting to follow the growth of this bush/tree as told by the ages of the individuals photographed with it. Of course your mom is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran across a picture of my mother as a college student in front of that bush, but since it's a close-up, it took me awhile to realize it was the infamous weeping mulberry.

      Delete
  5. Wendy, I recently got together with three cousins. The four of us are not often together so, naturally, we posed for a picture. We went outside my aunt's house & posed in front of a large flowering bush. As we snapped it I thought of your series of photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA -- that's funny. You'll have to ask your aunt for old photos to see if there are others in front of the flowering bush. You can start your own series.

      Delete
  6. Suck a cutie! And the bush is sooo big you cannot see any other houses.
    Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's different -- we usually see the houses across the street.

      Delete