Friday, August 30, 2013

Sepia Saturday: Beau Ties

Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.




This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt pays tribute to ties and suspenders.  If my ancestors wore suspenders, they didn't put them on display.  But there were ties a-plenty in the photos passed down to me. 


Fred and Julia Walsh Slade Portsmouth, VA
My grandparents
Fred and Julia Slade
In the early 1950s, my dad was a bow tie 
kinda guy, much like his dad.

Fred Slade graduation picture 1950 University of Virginia

Christmas 1952, Fred and Mary E. Davis Slade and Wendy
Christmas 1952


In the 1920s, my great aunts’ beaus sported bows.  Bow ties, that is.

In Velma's scrapbook, this is
captioned "CM and Teddy."
"Teddy" was Violetta's nickname.
But I don't know who CM was.

Woody Woodring sometimes
wore a bow tie.
Velma liked it so much, Woody wore a bow tie
at their wedding in 1927.



Friend of Velma Davis at Harrisonburg Teachers College 1924
Friend of Velma's
at Harrisonburg Teachers College
Handsome gentleman callers weren’t the only ones sporting ties.  Ties were a common accessory among college girls too, if my great aunt’s scrapbook can be trusted.

Velma Davis 1924 Shenandoah, Virginia
Velma Davis 1924


Friend of Violetta Davis, Shenandoah, Virginia
Friend of Violetta Davis
Virginia Cole, friend of Velma Davis at Harrisonburg Teachers College 1924
Virginia Cole, Velma's friend





























Please visit my friends at Sepia Saturday, if you’re not already TIEd up.




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

42 comments:

  1. They all looked so smart in their bow ties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your witty turn of phrase discussing those photos. In Aus our kids' school uniforms often include ties for both sexes, but not after that, although really scarves could be seen as a more elaborate version, and they are certainly very popular as a style accessory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten that many school uniforms included ties for girls too. But since these pictures are from Velma's college days, I don't think they were uniforms.

      Delete
  3. Clever title wendy! What a great collection of ties in your family. I never thought of school ties; we had a few of those, as well as regimental/squadron ones.

    That little plinky plonky piano? I had one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- I probably thought of the title first and then crafted the blog to fit although it certainly went off course with the girls' ties.

      Delete
  4. A plethora of bow ties - some simple, some fancy! And the gals wearing ties was a great addition. And I really like the name Violetta. I'm always looking for different names to give to characters in my stories. Hope you don't mind if I use Violetta's name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father, too, was a bow tie kind of guy, Wendy -- I don't remember him wearing anything else! And they weren't clip-ons, no-sir-ee, they were the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I ever saw my dad in a bow tie. Not once.

    I really like that look for women though - the one with the tie and knickerbockers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those pictures with men wearing dickie bows... Just don't see that much these days
    Jackie
    Scrapbangwallop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to Little Nell's comment, I went back through your pictures looking for the 1952 piano. Mine was more like 1946. The different ties are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh if we only still had our little pianos, what a lovely trio we would make. HAHAHAHA I kill me!

      Delete
  9. I love that wedding photo of Velma. And the photos of girls wearing ties. I went through a stage of wearing ties to work in the 80s. I love ties but my husband loathes them. He calls them nooses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of men share your husband's view.

      Delete
  10. I liked the ties they had for women in the 1980s to go with the dress-for-success suits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always think that the only tie worth wearing is a bow tie. Some great examples there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For most men in those days, the bow tie might be the only color in their usual wardrobe of brown, grey, and black. It's a shame that sepia photos hide that bit of fashion personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the ties in my photos seem patternless and uninteresting. And for that matter, even the bows don't show well.

      Delete
  13. Beau ties clever indeed! Velma's friend was styling ! I remember seeing that photo of your grandparents because the horse emblem caught my attention again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh right -- I had forgotten about that emblem. I'm not opposed to repeating pictures -- don't want anyone to miss out.

      Delete
  14. A lovely collection of photos, especially the one with the tennis racquet. Wearing trousers too, no less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she was the tennis champ of the year.

      Delete
  15. Yes very clever with the Beau ties! There have been many bow ties this week but my family (of primarily farmers) did not seem to wear bow ties (or didn't get photos taken when wearing them).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like bow ties. They look great in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them on some men IF they can carry it off without looking like a clown.

      Delete
  17. Love the ties on the ladies, I don't think I've seen that except in school.
    Tie your own bow ties seem to have made a bit of a come back in our circles lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew has a few bow ties and is quite particular about them being "tie your own."

      Delete
  18. I enjoyed the twist on how women always liked borrowing from men's apparel.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wonder what Freud had to say on that.

      Delete
  19. You have some cute photos to show. Very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos! One of our sons, who's in his 20's and unmarried, loves wearing bow ties. He's quite the snazzy dresser.

    ReplyDelete