Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wordless Wednesday: Rice Flakes?


Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.


Heinz Rice Flakes salesman in Davis collection Shenandoah, Page Co, VA 1930s


This photo was among pictures belonging to SOMEBODY on my mother’s side of the family.  Could this be a salesman from the Heinz company calling on the Davis Store on Sixth Street in Shenandoah, Virginia?

Heinz Rice Flakes, sponsor of the “Tarzan” radio show in the 1930s, was advertised as “the cereal that is different” because it was “the cereal with a vegetable effect.”  Mmmm yummy. 





© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

16 comments:

  1. A cereal with a "vegetable effect?" Sounds yummy... :)

    Have a nice Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, can you read between the lines on that?

      Delete
  2. Pour me a bowl too! What a perfect photo too! Great style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the old Saturday Night Live skit with Phil Hartman -- "Colon Blow." That's what this picture reminds me of.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photo - times are so different now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - he'd need a tractor trailer I guess.

      Delete
  4. Looks like Granddaddy to me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody looks like Granddaddy to you. But in this one, it looks like Granddaddy when he was older, maybe ??? I don't know.

      Delete
  5. Not sure what the 'vegetable effect" is but...hmmm, makes you wonder!

    The photo is great...too bad no one wrote on the back of it.

    At an estate sale I bought a faded poster of a man with a Model T car, wearing no shirt and flexing his muscles...I plan to hang it even though it is dog-eared...it is a classic photo.
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think "fiber."

      You'll have to blog about that poster. I can imagine it, but I'd love to see it too!

      Delete
  6. I love your description! Fun photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umm, I think I'll pass on that bowl of veggie, er, Rice Flakes, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/07/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-july-26-2013.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete