Thursday, December 8, 2011

Advent Calendar - Christmas Cookies

Geneabloggers is once again hosting the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories encouraging family historians to write about their holiday traditions.


Christmas cookies were Grandma Davis’s domain.  Momma was probably too busy with schoolwork and sewing to develop those culinary skills.  But why would she need to?  Grandma was right next door.  And I was her constant helper.

My favorite cookie to make was a decorated sugar cookie cut into Christmas shapes.  It wasn’t the taste of the cookie that I liked so much as the fun of playing with icing and sugary sprinkles.  The ultimate decoration though was the silver dragee.

Image Source:  Google Images


A dragee on every point of a star, plus 1 or 2 or 5 in the center.

A dragee for Santa’s eyes.

Dragees here and there on Santa’s beard.

Dragees to create garland for the trees.

So pretty.  So shiny.  Have you ever tried to eat a dragee?  They’re best swallowed whole.  They’ll break your teeth. 


1 comment:

  1. Those are called dragees? I never knew! I'm pretty sure I used to chew them, but then again I'm also a big fan of Gobstoppers and Jawbreakers. :)

    ReplyDelete