Wednesday, July 10, 2013

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: 2 More Boys

Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.

Unknown boys in collection of Helen Killeen Parker photographed by Campbell Studios in Norfolk, Virginia


Here is another set of boys, this time from my dad’s side of the family.  It was among photos belonging to my great-grandmother Mary Theresa Sheehan Killeen Walsh or her daughter Helen Killeen Parker.  There is no identification - surprise surprise.  The picture was taken at the Campbell Studio in Norfolk, Virginia.  Because Mary Theresa had only one boy, I suspect the picture might be her nephews Matthew and John Glynn, sons of John Joseph and Bridget Killeen Glynn. 

Matthew was born in 1891 and John in 1893.  Would you date this photo around 1899? 

Of course, I could be totally wrong about the family.  It's possible that the photo is from Helen's husband's side.  Maybe one of the boys is Herbert Parker himself.




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

8 comments:

  1. My goodness that's a big bow on the curly-headed lad! Don't they look serious and a bit apprehensive? And what's with the belt being worn so loose? Is that something you see a lot in old photos of boys in sailor suits, or is it just these two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh golly, I have no clue about the clothes, but I'd say the belt was intentional since it's loose on both boys. I love the nonchalant pose of the big brother.

      Delete
  2. That boy on the left: I love the look on his face!

    Have a great Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting photo. The looks on their faces couldn't be more different. The boy on the left is so serious and the boy on the right looks kind of scared or worried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous photo I just love their outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This very well could be my grandfather, John Joseph Glynn Jr., born in 1893 in VA, and my Uncle Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother, Charlotte Mariah Glynn Flynn, was the daughter of John Joseph Glynn Jr. The very well could be my grand-father and my Uncle Matt.

    ReplyDelete