Friday, April 19, 2013

Sepia Saturday: What the?


Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.




Alan’s intention with this week’s Sepia Saturday photo of a perplexed boy holding 2 geese is to see what crazy or odd photos we all have stashed away.  I have a couple amusing ones.

Chug! Chug! Chug!
My grandparents Lucille (far left) and Orvin Davis (the man) are with 3 others whom I don’t recognize.  However, I think that’s Granddaddy’s cousin Vessie Jollett Steppe who is being fed something to drink.  Can’t she hold her own bottle?  And then some boy is standing on his head while a little girl barely makes it into the shot with her foot in the air, high kick style.  With so much puzzling action, this photo makes me laugh whenever I look at it. 

Lucille Davis and Orvin Davis maybe at the Palmers' late 1940s or early 1950s


Naughty Girl
From my Aunt Velma’s album, here’s her buddy Virginia Cole thumbing her nose at the camera.  Tsk Tsk!  That was probably far more shocking in 1925 than it is today.

Virginia Cole 1925
Virginia Cole
Girl to immediate left is Olive Williams.
Velma on the right is cut off.
The man and other woman are unknown.


On Dasher! On Dancer!
Whoever Gertrude and Evan Sholl were, they probably scared the children of all the family and friends who received this Christmas card from them.  Nothing says "holiday" like freshly gutted deer. 

Christmas card from Gertrude and Evan Sholl
Wishing you a very Merry Deer Christmas
Gertrude & Evan Sholl
found among photos belonging to Helen Killeen Parker


BANG!
Apparently gun safety in 1919 was not the serious business it is today. 

from album of Helen Killeen Parker
taken in Ocean View, Virginia
about 1919


For more smiles, giggles, snickers, and guffaws, please visit Sepia Saturday.




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

34 comments:

  1. I did get a chuckle out of these photos Wendy from the nose thumbing, to the freshly gutted deer, to the questionable gun safety. All great picks for this week's prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! I don't have anything quite as fun.

    http://completelycalifornia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My maternal grandmother, whose manner never quite overcame the death of Queen Victoria, would not have approved of my reading the blog about your outrageous ancestors !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA -- then definitely do go snooping into my A to Z Challenge, especially "M," and the upcoming "S" or "X."

      Delete
  4. What fun photos! I have a few that make me laugh but nowhere as interesting as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy old photos really humanize our ancestors, don't they?

      Delete
  5. I especially got a chuckle out of the Christmas card. What were they thinking indeed! I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at the nose thumber - dressed as she was. I've gotten so used to the ladies in dresses climbing mountains, swimming, and so forth. that I was stunned to see her in pants straddling the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by the other photos of Virginia Cole in my great-aunt's album, she was quite a character.

      Delete
  6. It is apparent that a shotgun wedding was at least thought to be in order. (LOL?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha -- probably so. That gun would have gone a long way to keep the fellows honest.

      Delete
  7. An intriguing collection. It looks to me as though the girl in the first photo was also attempting a handstand, but fell towards the camera just as the shutter clicked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really would make this qualify as an action shot!

      Delete
  8. These are all great, but the Christmas card made me laugh out loud, Wendy!

    Someday soon, I hope to get back to S.S.

    Hugs,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had a laugh. I'm sure when I first saw it I stared with my mouth wide-open puzzling over whether they were serious about sending it as a Christmas card.

      Delete
  9. Your first photo still has me laughing. It's almost like they're playing some sort of Mother may I game, and they are giving out some funny calls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deer hunting was a special occasion as hog killing back in the day when folks had to hunt and cure their own meat. Love the nose thumbing shot.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the men on my husband's side of the family are all hunters. Nobody has hogs though.

      Delete
  11. Oh that Christmas card!! That's just too gory for words.
    You have the oddest photos that fit perfectly with this week's
    theme.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can just be grateful the card wasn't in color!

      Delete
  12. All too good, Wendy. I suppose we should be glad there wasn't video in the old days. The Christmas deer gut is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous collection of photos Wendy. That first one would do credit to Dali or the Surrealists.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fun collection of photographs from your family album! They are treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The hunter was probable pretty proud of those 3 deer and wanted to share the good news. Reminds me of hunting season in northern Michigan. Dead deer everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what the limit was - I see a number of cars so maybe these weren't all Evan's deer.

      Delete
  16. My favorite is that Christmas card! Wow! I wonder if anyone put that card on display in their homes if they had little children around. Can't you just hear those kids?..."Mommy, Mommy, Uncle Evan killed Santa's reindeer!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA HA -- exactly! No kid wants to see a dead deer, especially at Christmas with that sleigh ride on the line!

      Delete
  17. All a bit odd but the palm goes to the dead deer
    and a "merry Xmas" wish to go along...
    Not only is the picture odd,
    but its use even more so.
    Kinda reflects the mind of the sender...
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I'm in a hunting family, I understand the picture itself. But sending it as a Christmas card beats all!

      Delete
  18. I liked them all but the gun at the beach will linger in my mind.

    ReplyDelete