Friday, April 19, 2013

A to Z April Challenge: Q is for Quinn


This is Day 17 of the A to Z April Challenge.  My theme is women with unusual names although I must cheat now and then or I’ll have a name and no story.


is for Quinn, but that’s not a first name.  It’s Elizabeth Quinn.  And quite honestly, I’m not sure she’s really mine.  But she’s on the “maybe” list.  MAYBE my 6G great grandmother.  MAYBE daughter of Mary Ashworth and Darby Quinn.  (Darby Quinn!  How cute is that?  What Irish girl wouldn’t want an ancestor named Darby Quinn?) 

IF Elizabeth Quinn is mine, here is how we relate:


  • Elizabeth Quinn (1719 Culpeper Co, VA – 1793 Bland, VA) married George Bruce (1713 – 1787)
  • Their son Richard Bruce (1754 Albemarle Co, VA – 1813 Bland, VA ) married Catherine White (1744 – 1784).
  • Their daughter Malinda Bruce (1778 – 1872 Greene Co, VA) married Joshua Shiflett (1775 – 1838 Albemarle Co, VA).
  • Their son Isaac Shiflett (1807 – 1862 Albemarle Co, VA) married Susan Jordan (1814 – 1842). 
  • Their daughter Segourney Shiflett (1851 – 1926 Rockingham Co, VA) married George Eppard (1839 – 1917 Rockingham Co, VA).
  • Their daughter Mary Susan “Sudie” Eppard (1875 Rockingham Co, VA – 1958 Page Co, VA) married Joseph Rucker (1874 Rockingham Co, VA – 1933 Page Co, VA).
  • Their daughter Lucille Rucker (1904 Page Co, VA – 1990 Chesapeake, VA) married Orvin Davis (1899 Page Co, VA – 1963 Portsmouth, VA).
  • Their daughter Mary Eleanor Davis (1929 Page Co, VA – 2005 Chesapeake, VA) married Fred Slade (1928 Portsmouth, VA – 2009 Chesapeake, VA).
  • They had ME.


Don’t be in a Quandry.  Don’t Quit now.  If you’re Quick, you’ll enjoy some Quirky and Quotable Quips at the A to Z April Challenge.



© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

15 comments:

  1. Love Darby Quinn! Wish I was Irish. Loved all your Q worded quotes at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost sounds like a leprechaun. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. I love the name Quinn. It was on the list for both of my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cousin's grandson is Quinn.

      Delete
    2. lol Dana of course it was! It's one of my favorites too. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, that was a Genealogical Quantum Leap List to get from EQ to You. You definately pass the How many times removed figuring equation quiz! So ye are a lassie, huh?

    My Letter 'Q'...Quilt Question #1
    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun challenge you had in picking names of your ancestors O_o. Very unique and awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW! Can you trace how she got to VA way back then? That's so cool-my mother's parents were immigrants and my dad's grandparents were immigrants...so I am a relative newby compared to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some people know the ship and mother country - just depends on what records are left behind to lead to that info. I haven't really tried on this line.

      Delete
  6. I certainly hope she is ours. I love the name Darby Quinn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quinn is the name of the first boy I ever kissed! Though I think I like it better as a girl's name. :)
    Love your theme! One more week to go!

    AJ Lauer
    #atozchallenge helper minion
    Twitter: @ayjaylauer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cute for a girl's name. Of course, maybe we're being overly-influenced by "Glee."

      Delete