Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wedding Wednesday and Treasure Chest Thursday: Velma Davis and Woody Woodring

Wedding Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that invites us to share wedding photos and announcements of our ancestors’ weddings.  Treasure Chest Thursday is a prompt focusing on family heirlooms. 


Velma Hilda Davis (1908-1968) and Arthur Henry Woodring (1904-1951)


Velma and Woody (you can read more about him HERE) married January 15, 1927, in the parlor of the home built by her father, my great grandfather, Walter B. Davis.  This house is still in the family, so it’s fun to compare how the house looks then and now.
 

Their wedding book was probably a gift from the minister, Arthur Maiden.  Arthur was married to Velma’s cousin, Minnie Coleman.




When I spied this photo of wedding gifts in Velma’s scrapbook, my jaw dropped.  Look carefully at the pitcher in front of the picture on the sideboard, and the tea set on the table. Click on the photo to enlarge it.




Now look at the next 2.  Look familiar?





These are among the treasures that have been passed down to me.  The purple pitcher (probably a chocolate pot, judging by the shape) is made of glass.  The original picture makes me think there should be glasses to go with it, but I don’t have them.  The tea set is lusterware from Japan. The photo here makes the blue look much more intense than it really is.  Lusterware was the latest trend in wedding gifts at that time, somewhat like a precursor of fondu sets and rice cookers, I guess. 




2 comments:

  1. I've done enough research to know how fun and absorbing it can be! How nice that you cherish your heirlooms. Thanks so much for letting me know you came by! I appreciate the nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is so neat that you ended up with many of Velma and Woody's wedding gifts since you look so much like Velma.

    Fun Post!

    ReplyDelete