Saturday, April 3, 2021

Sepia Saturday: Making a Spectacle

Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.


This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt features tables lined with hungry guests. What was this - an optometrist convention? As one who needs glasses just to cut up my meat, I can’t help noticing all the eyewear.


 These eyeglasses are hardly an “heirloom,” but they are one of my favorite things I inherited from my grandparents Orvin and Lucille Davis. Supposedly they were my granddaddy’s glasses from his childhood. The size would suggest that is true, but I have no photos to prove he ever wore them. I wonder if whoever said they belonged to “Granddaddy” actually meant Walter Davis, my mother’s “granddaddy.”

Walter Davis
Do these look like the same glasses?

Let’s see who else wore glasses:

1910s

Nancy Frances Shiflett Morris
sister of my 2X great-grandmother

Captioned "Uncle Billy Long"
but he wasn't related
He was uncle of a good friend 
of my Davis family
Unknown - I guess a Davis family friend

1920s

Leota Sullivan Racy

Leota Sullivan was my granddaddy’s cousin. It is easy to see how her glasses always help to identify her in old photos.










Top row: My grandaunt Violetta Davis, there's Leota again,
and friend Florine Fisher 
Bottom row: Pauline Bennett and my grandaunt Velma Davis

High School chum of 
my in-laws





 

 







1930s

Great-grandmother
Mary Frances Jollet Davis


 

 











Grandaunt Lillie Killeen

Let's jump ahead a few decades.

1960s

Oooh high school hunk!


Sister-in-law in her cat-eyes!


Even the older chicks wore the cat-eyes
Catherine Reilly, Lillie Killeen, Helen Killeen Parker

1970s

Big wire-rims 
 

 1980s

Who can forget the "Sally Jessy Raphael" glasses of the 80s? They were HUGE!

Some of my students 1981
Silver Anniversary Cirle of the 
United Methodist Women

2000s

Aunt Betty and Me 2009

Check out the bling
on Mary Jollette's glasses!


2010s
2013 
Moi and Mary Jollette


2020s
The Grandbaboo wanted to do a Selfie

This is my latest pair of glasses. They are multi-colored (rainbow according to the Baboo) with a tricky shape - almost Sally Jessy Raphael-esque.

Grab a seat at the Sepia Saturday table to see who all made a spectacle of themselves.

Wendy

© 2021, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. Fun post, Wendy! I can't see a thing w/o glasses. Have a wonderful Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all those eyeglasses through the years, both ancestral and your own! Happy and healthy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post! I also have a pair of antique magnifying glasses from my grandmother, treasured like yours. I love Leota's glasses -- and the cat-eye glasses, which my grandmother wore in her senior years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say "glasses" but my English wife says "specs", i.e. spectacles. Many years ago her father, Isador, was honored by a charity he supported which commissioned a noted sculptor to make a portrait bust of him in bronze. We have one of the copies which is life size. The artist captured Isador's likeness very accurately except that he left out the spectacles that Isador always wore. We happened to have one of his old pair of specs and when we tried them on the bust, they fit perfectly! And so did one of his favorite hats. Now Isador's bust is proudly displayed in our house complete with his hat and specs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good observation about all the people wearing glasses in the prompt photo - I didn't think of that! even though I can't see anything without glasses either...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a whole bunch'a glasses! We used to ask people to remove their glasses for pictures because they reflected the camera flash lighting. But today most folks have non-reflective glasses so it no longer matters which is good because if a person normally wears glasses, that's the way they are seen and recognized by others. I laughed at Mike & his wife adding her father's favorite hat & glasses to his bust. Too funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your take on the theme - very original. I was taken with Grandaunt Lillie's fur coat. Amazing. Do you know what fur it was?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful photos and you were very clever to come up with spectacles, glasses, as a theme. I started in my forties wearing reading glasses, which hung round my neck for years...then finally got real glasses, most of which aren't meant to be stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I continue to be in awe of your bounty of photographs! And what a fun tour of eyeglass styles through the decades.

    ReplyDelete