Saturday, May 25, 2019

Sepia Saturday: It's Crowded in Here


Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.

With apologies to my fellow Homo-Sepians, I am preparing for a big trip and will be gone for several weeks, so my participation in Sepia Saturday will be minimal at best. I just hope I remember to link my post!


This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt reminds me of several church photos from my collection. It must have been tradition for congregations to gather outside their house of worship for a group photo.
 
My husband's maternal grandmother's church
Mountain View Church of the Brethren
Upper Cove, West Virginia
She is probably one of the children
Jollett Methodist Church group 1914
back row: Rev John Wesley Jollett and wife Sarah Elizabeth
Sunday School class probably about 1915
Grandaunts Violetta (next to the teacher back row)
 and Velma (dark-haired girl front row)

Men's group at the Evangelical United Brethren Church
Shenandoah, VA
(sorry for the numbers - can't find the original photo right now)
"The Gleaners" women's group
Evangelical United Brethren Church

United Methodist Men
Cradock United Methodist Church before 1963
Granddaddy Davis 1st on the left, 2nd row from bottom

Join the crowd at Sepia Saturday for more group photos.

Wendy
© 2019, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. A great challenge entry!
    Stephanie Finnell
    @randallbychance from
    Katy Trail Creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. You matched the prompt well. I don't have many group pictures like this except school children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon voyage!

    Great group photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photographers always did well with church groups. Church folks cooperate better at getting everyone sorted out and lined up in order of age, height, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind of like a church directory but the members are all in the same photo. Liked them all.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fine and impressive collection of group photos, and how lucky you are to have them. Perfect for this week's prompt! Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading later rather than earlier (I just discovered) because the comments are all here too! I did read your blog earlier when I wasn't feeling well, so I'm glad to comment today - these are great photos for the meme this week. Thanks. My church hasn't done a group photo for a while...so I may suggest it for a special occasion sometime. We had a member who is a professional photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In all the photos I have I have not seen one of a church group. Yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the groups, which shed light on their members and therefore your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete