Wednesday, April 25, 2018

A to Z April Challenge: V is for Vaseline


When my sister and I cleaned out our parents’ home, we had to make many decisions about what to do with all the stuff. Which things are truly “valuable” and which have only sentiment in their favor? Should we sell it, keep it, or throw it away? To help ensure a future for our family’s heirlooms, I plan to leave a booklet for my daughters telling the stories of what they will inherit one day. (Not TOO soon, I hope!) With this challenge I begin my book of Heirlooms.



is for vaseline glass. It is actually glass that contains uranium. The most popular color of uranium glass is this yellow-green. It was nicknamed “vaseline glass” in the 1920s because of its resemblance to petroleum jelly as it was sold at that time.





Vaseline glass https://jollettetc.blogspot.com


To be honest my Vaseline glass is not an heirloom at all. These are pieces I bought at antique shops specifically to fit the color scheme of one of our guest bedrooms. However, I need to include the story in my book of Heirlooms so that my daughters will know that there is no family history and certainly no sentimental value attached to these bowls and cup.

Wendy
© 2018, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh good grief - I hope not! Now you've given me something to worry about.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I have a few things that I need to call out as not heirlooms, just something I liked. Although, sadly, my daughters don't seem to have any interest in any of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! But one daughter has asked about various things I've given her, "Do I need to keep this?" I imagine she will at least think about it one day.

      Delete
  3. It is so pretty, and there is no rule that an heirloom can't start with you! It may have no meaning to you, but comes the time the girls may remember it fondly. (I'm trying lol)

    My A to Z Genealogy Challenges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA - ok, thanks for having my back. But honestly, they won't remember the Vaseline fondly because I bought it after they left home. However, they will probably wonder if they SHOULD remember it.

      Delete
  4. Yes I’ve heard of Vaseline glass - I also have many heirlooms of my own that even my kids prob wont want! Hopefully my 5 granddaughters will have interest! Who will want my Nancy Drew’s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody had better want those Nancy Drews!

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of Vaseline glass or would have thought that it contained uranium! I feel like I understand the need to sort out the "I bought this because I liked it" from the family heirlooms. I love old stuff and have made quite a few purchases. My kids won't know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine won't know the difference either. My sister and I struggled ourselves with our parents' things trying to recall where something came from. Hence - my book of heirlooms.

      Delete
  6. It is a very pretty color! I too hadn't heard of Vaseline glass.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of vaseline glass before, so I appreciate the little lesson. Also, it's a wonderful point that we need to tell our children both what are and what are not heirlooms! I, too, have antiques I've bought that have no sentimental value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might save my daughters the struggle I went through deciding what to do with my parents' things.

      Delete
  8. I did not know about the "Vaseline glass". Glad I learned something new today!
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    Jui Positive Cookies

    ReplyDelete