Friday, October 9, 2015

Sepia Saturday: Ugly People

Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.


This week’s Sepia Saturday commemorates 300 weeks of sharing old photos and stories by recalling the photo that got this group started. While there is no shortage of photos of ugly people in my collection, I decided to follow the prompt even more closely by recalling the photo I posted on my very first blog back in August 2011. Partly because I’m lazy, partly because there is nothing new to say, and partly because it was so darn good the first time, I am simply repeating the story (with a few minor edits) from the post that got my blog started:

Jollett Family Portrait  http://jollettetc.blogspot.com
Standing: My great-grandmother Mary Frances Jollett Davis, Sallie Jollett Clift,
Victoria Jollett Breeden, Laura Jollett Knight
Seated: Emma Jollett Coleman, Ulysses Jollett, Laura Jollett Sullivan

For years, this Jollett family portrait hung above the piano in my parents’ living room. My great-aunt Violetta Davis Ryan had several copies made from a little photo, and everyone who shared her pride in the Jolletts got one. As children, my sister and I heard stories of the Jolletts during every visit with our relatives in Harrisonburg and Shenandoah, Virginia. To children’s ears the Jollett family seemed like characters in a storybook, so mysterious and out of reach. Naturally we willingly adopted Jollett Pride as our own.

Then baby sister’s boyfriend came a’callin’ and snapped us into reality. He entered the living room, took one look at that gold-framed family treasure and said, “Who are all those ugly people?”

Until then, we probably never noticed the glum expressions and the general absence of beauty among the sisters. As my sassy sister noted, “They probably didn’t have Mary Kay.” 

I used to think the Jollett girls and brother were old in this picture. Now I realize they were YOUNG. They were in their 30s-40s, maybe. If that’s a wedding ring on Vic’s hand, the photo was taken after 1902.  The clothing appears to be 1910’s style. Mary Frances’ brother Ulysses died in 1931 at age 44, so that helps date this photo as well. 

Now HERE they are in their late 50s and 60s.

Jollett Reunion probably 1934 http://jollettetc.blogspot.com
Standing: James Mitchell Knight, Sallie J. Clift, Leanna J. Knight, 
Walter Davis, Mary Frances J. Davis, Decatur Breeden, 
Victoria J. Breeden, Laura J. Sullivan, Will Sullivan
Seated:  Jack Coleman, Emma J. Coleman
This photo was taken at a family reunion probably 1934 or earlier. My handsome great-grandfather looks healthy, but he died in October 1934.

Please visit Sepia Saturday to read more of the good, the bad, and the ugly.


© 2015, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

22 comments:

  1. If you want to see ugly, you should see one of the old portraits that my mom has hanging on the wall going up her steps. Scary ugly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess ugly is also in the eye of the beholder. The folks are handsome group in this 59 year old woman's opinion which I know is light years from a teenage boy's. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think they looked ugly, just a serious (as was the custom) family group. What a rude boy who probably wasn't as good looking as he thought himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look stoic and certainly not ugly :) It is rare to see a picture that is "old" that the people are smiling in it. Almost like they are afraid to?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, not ugly, but the fashions and hairstyles didn’t do them any favours did they? One minor correction - the prompt photo was what got ME into starting my own blog. I didn’t join until SS70 (even though Alan says he thought I’d been there from the beginning, which is nice.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Jollets wouldn't be described as good looking, but they certainly aren't ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Kristin, and Little Nell. To describe the family as ugly was very discourteous - and also ignorant of the period the photograph was taken. It was usual for most people to look very solemn, and we don't know the occasion. Admittedly those severe hairstyles did not suit many women.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Kristin, and Little Nell. To describe the family as ugly was very discourteous - and also ignorant of the period the photograph was taken. It was usual for most people to look very solemn, and we don't know the occasion. Admittedly those severe hairstyles did not suit many women.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's no such thing as ugly. They are a family with all the variations seen in any family. I hope that boyfriend didn't become a permanent fixture but kept on passing through. Otheriwse he would have ended up in group photos of the descendants of the lovely ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with everyone else, they are not ugly, just a bit severe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always enjoy seeing before and after pictures of people, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not ugly. A bit severe in expression but they almost all have pleasant faces. Laura Jollett Knight probably fared best in candlelight but I'd still not call her ugly. The boyfriend probably didn't garner any points for that remark and I hope he didn't go to work for the state department.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever recycling, Wendy.
    I also add my two cents that there are never "ugly" ancestors in family photos. It's "character" and "personality". Some distant cousin/aunt/uncle always gives a descendant the same crooked nose, curly hair, or indented dimple. The bigger the family the more variety and fun in tracing the physical traits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your sister dumped that mean-spirited boyfriend who made such a crummy remark!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Touche for your sassy sister's smart remark! She dispatched that boyfriend without a second thought. And it's true: people probably held their breath, they were so concerned that the slightest movement would ruin the entire photograph. Forget about smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope that boyfriend did not become your sister's husband! I'm not sure I would have had good feelings toward him because of his rude comment. He must not have been interested in family history or he might have realized that most people looked serious in their photographs in earlier generations. As for your ancestors, Wendy, I think they look serious, wholesome, and pleasant. In at least two of the faces I can see a smile just passed or just coming after the snap of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They don't look like a particularly happy bunch do they? But who knows what took place prior to the sitting? A clash of personalities, bad news, or just a long wait for the photographer to get his/her act together?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ouch! I can't believe the boyfriend said that out loud even if he thought it. Surely he realized they had to be family and not local celebrities!

    My grandma had a picture of a man that always hung in her dining room which scared me to death. The man's eyes were sunken and dark. Later as I learned his story and all of the incredible hardships he had endured, I saw him in a completely different light. By then though I was an adult and wished I had been told his story when I was young. Just maybe he wouldn't have looked so scary to me (although I think he probably still would have.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes a great grandmother in the photo did make it significant once you get past the historic way of shooting photos. My grandmother kept insisting to get her brood of 10 to the photographer. Sometimes it was obvious she though she might loose her two boys at war. One take had a uncle looking like a mess because he had just lost his son in a drowning. The things in the background of the photo do effect the resulting shot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They don't look much happier at the family reunion, do they? I'm guessing by them there were a lot of grudges to be dealt with. Originally the first photo they had to stand perfectly still. The later one was just "I'm tired and my feet hurt!"

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bet Ulysses was the centre of attention, with all those sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They merely represented a certain era.
    Nothing wrong with that,
    once you accept this concept.
    I've published pictures of uglier people than that....
    :D

    ReplyDelete