Friday, December 6, 2013

Sepia Saturday: The Whole Fam Damily

Sepia Saturday challenges bloggers to share family history through old photographs.




This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt is the apron.  If the numbers of photos are any indication, my grandaunt Helen Killeen Parker must have had wonderful memories of summers spent at Ocean View between 1918 and 1920.  An apron is not the typical garb for the beach, but the age-old symbol of domestic life is present in three pictures that always evoke the same response from me.

This one makes me laugh because of the caption written on autographic film:


From album of Helen Killeen Parker about 1920
"The whole darn family"


This one makes me wonder:


From album of Helen Killeen Parker about 1920Mrs. ?  For a long time I tried to make it say “Mrs. Walsh” in the hopes of seeing my great-grandmother or her mother-in-law, my great-great grandmother.  However, based on the next photo, I gave up on that idea.  Now I simply wonder who she was and what baby she was holding.


















From album of Helen Killeen Parker about 1920
"Momma Ollice & the gang"
This one makes me want to drop everything and spend time on Ancestry.com


Momma Ollice.  Who?  My best GUESS, based on the apparent age of this aproned woman, is that she was the GRANDMOTHER of the WOMAN who married the oldest SON of Helen’s COUSIN Matthew Glynn, son of the SISTER of Helen's FATHER.  That would mean also that Momma Ollice was the GREAT-GRANDMOTHER of the girl who sang at my wedding. 











How’s that for connecting the “whole darn family”?


I’m cutting the apron strings and sending you off to Sepia Saturday for more stories and photos about aprons.



© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

21 comments:

  1. It's fascinating but no matter who they are they are still remembered with love and affection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first one makes me smile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is a well chosen and humorous post title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother always wore an apron and every time I put one on I think of her. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Handsome looking aproned ladies. Always makes me smile to read about Helen Killeen Parker. Enjoyed the post. Best regards, Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dog in the second shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy - the white-on-black captions in the lower margins of the first two snapshots were created with the feature available on Autographic cameras - are these the ones you referred to way back in March when commenting on an article I wrote for SS169? If so, I'd very much like to use them in a follow up article some time, if I may - I'll contact you by email as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes me want to dig out my old photos....
    TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess they must have worn those aprons wherever they were. The aprons don't look like they would help much on the beach where the bottom part of the skirt, most likely to get dirty, isn't covered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The foggy focus of your whole dang photos resembles the mist I see with my glasses off. Connecting the dots with such distant ancestors doesn't always reveal a recognizable picture, but if someone in the family saved it, then you are still preserving a memory no matter how unclear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "whole darn family" How adorable! Is that a goat or something on the "Mrs. Walsh" photo?

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  12. As ever, Wendy you co.me up with some wonderful titles and phrases. I enjoyed your post. .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very punny title! Momma Ollice looks a lot happier in the last picture than the first; perhaps she preferred ‘the gang’ to ‘the whole darn family’.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delightful photos. Times have changed. I seldom wear an apron, and never out of my kitchen. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  15. The last picture with the two girls in bathing attire is the one that made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Regardless of her identity, she definitely came straight from the 'beach house kitchen' still wearing her apron for the photo of the 'whole darn family'....I like your title better. LOL!!! I'm often caught in my apron when my whole FamDamily get together....everyone congregates in the kitchen. Yep, I can just imagine you jumping right over to ancestry to get the scoop on the 'Apron Lady'. Fun photos.
    Sue CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mrs. Apron doesn't look that happy to be surrounded by the whole darn family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do so agree. Some old family photos just make you want to drop everything and rush over to Ancestor and start digging.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simply enjoyable, both the vintage photos and your comments. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your convoluted explanation of the relationship of Momma Ollice! Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun post, Wendy. My favorite photo of the three is the first, specifically because the lady back right is (or at least looks!) pregnant -- and we very rarely see pregnant ladies in photographs of that time period.

    ReplyDelete