Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Wordless Wednesday: Women and Their Wheels


Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.


Nowhere is the playful nature of my great-aunt Helen Killeen Parker more apparent than in these photos of grown women taking turns posing on a child’s riding toy.  


Lillie Killeen and Helen Killeen Parker
"Our Ford"
Helen Killeen Parker in the front
and sister Lillie Killeen in the back
Portsmouth, VA about 1918-20
Helen Killeen Parker
"Jitney"
Portsmouth, VA about 1918-20



Helen Killeen Parker and friend
"Wanta ride"
Helen Killeen Parker in the back
Unknown in the front
Portsmouth, VA about 1918-20




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

13 comments:

  1. What fun photos! Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping our inner child alive always makes for better living! Your aunt rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the inner child! Good observation!!

      Delete
  3. Wow...and you know how much that little toy is if you had it now?!
    Looks like they were having a good time- isn't that what it is all about? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish I had it. And I wish I knew who had it first.

      Delete
  4. What a great photos. Your Aunts must have been fun loving Gals. Wonder where the wheels are now....they'd be worth a fortune these days.

    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    Rattlesnake Butte on AtoZ RoadTrip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must have been fun-loving gals, indeed. They were always happy and pleasant when I knew them -- they were very old then. Of course, I also remember the sisterly bickering, but it was never mean and it never lasted long. In fact, they were comical.

      I bet the little "jitney" is in the great landfill in the sky.

      Delete
  5. Haha! Those are such fun photos. Is there a third person sitting on a chair in the last photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, Jana, I don't know! I thought that was Helen's back or shoulder but now I'm thinking that would require her to have been a contortionist. Shoot - now that's going to drive me crazy.

      Delete
  6. Every time I read about Helen Killeen on your blog, Wendy, I do a double take and scurry back to my database to make sure I haven't gotten things wrong. I have a Helen Killeen married into my husband's line. You wouldn't think a name like that would be so common, but it's evident she wasn't a one-and-only!

    ReplyDelete