Jollett Etc. is three years old today. To celebrate, I’ve given her a little facelift. A couple weeks ago, Alex Daw of Family Tree Frog invited all interested bloggers to join her in a quick project to revamp our blogs. We visited one another, praised what we liked and made suggestions for improvement.
Some lovely compliments about the color of my blog, the font style and size, the format, and use of photos really brightened my day. Aw shucks, I’m still blushing.
At the same time, some really good suggestions for improvement have now been implemented:
- I like my color scheme because it is appropriate for the historical focus of my blog, but I also agreed with one comment that it was drab. So I lightened the background and added a new blog banner. The colors brighten up the place yet retain that antique feel.
- I added the Search box since so many bloggers mentioned it. (Was that always a Blogger option? I don’t remember seeing it three years ago.)
- Several bloggers recommended moving “About Me” up in the sidebar, so I did. One person said it was too long. In editing, I decided it was also outdated, so I started over.
- I found a new “Email Me” image with a more vintage feel in keeping with the focus of my blog.
- Several noted that my sidebar is cluttered. Unfortunately, it is still cluttered because whatever was removed was replaced by something else. I edited my labels cloud dramatically by restricting it to family surnames. That helps somewhat.
- The family pages have been updated with newly revised family charts. Some pages were eliminated either because they were redundant or woefully under-researched. Maybe they’ll make a return one day.
- I updated my photo, not that it matters.
While in the remodeling mood, I also implemented some changes suggested by Thomas MacEntee and Lisa Alzo in Blogger Boot Camp:
- I added more “follow” options.
- I added some Twitter and Pinterest buttons.
- I added copyright notices to blog posts.
Do I know how to celebrate or what?
©2014, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.