Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wordless Wednesday: Holy Communion

Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.



Holy Communion May 15, 1938, perhaps related to Killeen or Walsh of Portsmouth, Virginia



This photo was in a box of pictures that had belonged to my great grandmother Mary Theresa Sheehan Killeen Walsh.  Unlike most of the photos that I inherited from my dad’s family, this one bears a date on the back signaling that it was likely sent to Mary Theresa, maybe from one of her sisters in New York or some other relative.  (The row houses in the background actually look more Southern than New Yorkish.)


The occasion:  a First Holy Communion, May 15, 1938.  




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Such a sweet girl in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very much like my mother's First Holy Communion photo which was taken about that time. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet little girl, and such a happy day for her I'm sure. The background of row houses is very interesting. A precious photo, especially since you also have a date of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful girl! I have a photo like that of me...1967 or so...but I did not have a veil like that! I agree the houses do not look New Yorkish...I am there right now.
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming photograph. Nowadays we hear so little about confirmation in the Anglican church, but I do have two early 20th century photographs of ancestors at their confirmation.

    ReplyDelete