Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wordless Wednesday: Up on the Roof

Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.


Fred Slade's Coast Guard Scrapbook Thule, Greenland, 1946-47




This photo is from my dad’s scrapbook of pictures taken during his time in the Coast Guard 1946-47.  He made several trips between Boston and Thule, Greenland, which is most likely where this photo was taken.  Where else would someone have clothes on the line while needing to shovel snow off the roof?




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Where indeed! ☺ That looks like a cold (and scary!) job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like he could slide off the roof along with the snow.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I wonder how long it took for those clothes to dry in that weather. Oh, and that's a great title for your post. It made me think of the James Taylor song. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha -- yes, I was singing that song as I typed the title.

      I imagine those clothes froze right there on the line. Can't you see someone carrying the shirts back inside with the arms frozen straight out?

      Delete
  3. It makes me shiver to look at that photo, Wendy! (Like I don't want to go outside today because it looks as cold as that photo.) Do you know what the larger building at the right back is? It almost looks like a church. And then did you notice how the clothes were hung on the line? Not with clothespins (except one on the shirt in the center). They strung the clothesline through the sleeves of the shirts and pants. It doesn't look windy but I can't think of another reason to do it that way except not having clothespins. Amazing photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That building could be a church or a school.

      I had to take another look at the clothes on the line -- I thought everything was just draped over the line but it does look like the line runs through the sleeves. That seems like a lot of work.

      Delete