Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wordless Wednesday: Boy on a Trike


Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.


Unknown boy from collection of Helen Killeen Parker

This photo was in a box of pictures belonging to my great-aunt Helen Killeen Parker.  I don’t know who the boy is, but it isn’t likely someone in my direct line.  The photographer was located in Norfolk, Virginia, but the Killeens were New Yorkers until 1905 when the newly widowed Mary Theresa Sheehan Killeen moved to Portsmouth, Virginia to be closer to her in-laws.  Helen’s only brother Matthew would have been 10 in 1905, but this boy looks younger than that.  He could be Helen’s husband Herbert Parker.  




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

14 comments:

  1. What a great photo. I hope you can date it. The clothes are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best I can do is about 1910 because bangs for boys were IN while long curls were out.

      Delete
  2. What eyes! Such a wonderful photo; it makes me want to know more about him and his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! He has an interesting look - so serious.

      Delete
  3. Ditto on what Dana said. That is an amazing picture of the trike, too...with the details that it reveals, I bet you could date it by the wheels alone. He doesn't look to happy about the lacy shirt, the big bow or the buckle shoes...awwww maw!!!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have minded having a pair of shoes like that! I Googled 1910 tricycles and see many like this one, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was 1910. The bike could be older.

      Delete
  4. What a cutie. Wish we knew who he was. =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute!

    Are those metal wheels on that bike? It must have been a bumpy ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at that too and wondered if there were ever tires on the bike or if this is how old tricycles were built.

      Delete
  6. He's quite an intense-looking little boy, isn't he? This is a fabulous old photograph but isn't it so disappointing to have a great photo and not know who the person is?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting photo. The bow almost looks drawn on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, it does. The shirt detail does seem faded or out of focus, because when I studied the bow I suddenly noticed the lace collar.

      Delete