Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sentimental Sunday: Birthday Parties

Sentimental Sunday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that encourages family historians to create a post discussing a sentimental story or memory about an ancestor, or maybe even a family tradition.



Evelyn Cantor is cut off on the left.
I can't remember the tall older girl but I
think she was Evelyn's cousin. 
Next is Sharon Asbury -- I always loved
her long blond hair.  Me.  Patty Ray Allison.
Cousin Leo Slade.  Neighbor Sonny Foltz cut off.

Organdy and polka dotted swiss dresses with crinolines

Patent leather shoes
Back: Vickie Reeves, Evelyn Cantor, Unknown, Sharon Asbury, my head,
Patty Ray Allison, her sister Vickie cut off.
Front:  Leo Slade, Sonny Foltz, Peggy Taylor, Katherine Cummings
Background:  Aunt Charlotte Butler Slade (now Shea) and Momma


Evelyn Cantor and me
Uncle Leo in the background
I see my name on the cake
but we had cupcakes on our plates.
What a great party!


        Cake and Punch  
                                                                                                                                                                                  


No bouncing houses

No laser tag, bumper bowling, or rock wall climbing adventure

Just neighborhood kids in the yard


















©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. My birthday parties were like that, too. We played simple games like Hot Potato, Musical Chairs, and Pin the Tail on the Donkey. We didn't have to go to Chuck E. Cheese's or the bowling alley or the pool. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you mention about bouncehouses and all the frills. On my birthday in my kindergarten class we celebrate my birthday the way we did when I was 6. We play "Drop the clothes pin in the bottle, (glass milk bottle and what's a clothes pin?) and Pin the Tail on the Donkey, and Musical Chairs....and we have cake and ice cream and we all get a balloon...the kind you blow up with your won mouth. And then we play...THE END!

    I loved your photos. I was the 3rd child and born 9 and 11 years after my older sisters...I have very few photos. Thanks for sharing yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's Grandma's kitchen step stool! I loved that chair! We need to get Cam to repair your pictures. I'm so glad there are pictures of Uncle and cousin Leo and Aunt Charlotte =( What a sweet party. Everyone is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what lovely photos and what great memories they evoke. Thanks for dropping by my blog the other day and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure. We all dressed like that for birthday parties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I bet everybody on the block knew each other and was invited. What a great post Wendy, of the simple times and the good old days.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete