Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mothers' Day

If Nature smiles -- the Mother must
by Emily Dickinson
If Nature smiles -- the Mother must
I'm sure, at many a whim
Of Her eccentric Family --
Is She so much to blame?

My Great-Grandmothers


Mary Sudie Eppard Rucker  *  Mary Theresa Sheehan Walsh  *  Mary Frances Jollett Davis



My Grandmothers


Lucille Rucker Davis with Orvin and Julia Mary Walsh Slade with Fred

 Lucille Davis and Fred and Julia Slade

My Mother



Fred and Mary Eleanor Davis Slade

Four Generations

Standing:  Me and Grandma Lucille Rucker Davis
Seated: My mother Mary Eleanor Davis Slade, Zoe, my sister Mary Jollette Slade Pollock, Jordan



©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

8 comments:

  1. I love that last picture--what a great thing to have! Just before my grandma died, we took a picture with her, my mom, me, and my daughter. I treasure it.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls were very little when my grandmother died, and they don't really remember her at all. So, yes, I'm very glad we have this picture.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos- we still have four generations, long may it last. Why do you have three great grandmothers or have I missed something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has 4 great-grandmothers, but we don't have a picture of my dad's paternal grandmother, Mary Morrison Slade. In fact, there are very few pictures from that side of the family period unless some distant cousin has some. I should try to make some contacts.

      Delete
  3. Yes,the final photo especially..........A Powerful & Strong Group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! There is everyone except Mary Morrison Slade! We have been lucky to have some great Mommas in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four Generations. That picture is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's Day, Wendy! Loved seeing everybody.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete